Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/5/2008 2:57:15 PM EDT
Is there an easy way to do this without an adjuster tool?

I was turning on mine and it didnt really want to move, didnt want to force it.

What do you guys use without a specific tool?  Pliers?

Scott
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Some AK front sights are hard to move due to years of accumulated crud or finishes that got into the threads of the front sight post. Using a lot of force is a viable option, as if it is really stuck, the front sight tool will break anyway (at least from my experience). Try using pliers if they are small enough to reach it. Otherwise, buy a long hex bolt from a nearby hardware store and cut a groove into it using a dremel or file so that it will go over the front sight. Then you can get a wrench and really put some torque on the bolt to turn the front sight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The actual adjuster tools are made from mild steel and until the sight is loosened up- will easily bend under the pressure. However the sight tool that comes with the cleaning kit is hardened and can easily work elevation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
However the sight tool that comes with the cleaning kit is hardened and can easily work elevation.

And since it was purpose built for the task it will fit better than 99% of the "field expedients" ever made. Better fit = less chance it will slip off and damage something when you resort to more force to make the sight post move.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]
You may also want to soak the front sight post in CLP Breakfree for a few hours - maybe even overnight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You may also want to soak the front sight post in CLP Breakfree for a few hours - maybe even overnight.

I have found "PB Blaster" works well on the front sight and assorted levers of rusty romanian kits
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top