Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/14/2007 1:53:51 PM EDT
Hey I just got my AK back from the Gunsmith it was having a duracoat finish put on it. While it was gone I bought some AK Bulgarian waffle mags & a Romanian 75rd drum mag. I Cant get the waffle mags or the drum mag to fit. It came with some 30rd mags that fit it fine but whats up with the waffle & drum mags?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The Bulgy waffle mags sometimes need to be filed down a bit to fit. This recent thread talks about it toward the bottom.

Bulgy Waffle Mags

The 75-round drum that you had Duracoated may need to be sanded at the top where it inserts into the mag well. If possible, see if it fits into another AK, or a friend's AK as is. If not, you may have to open up the mag well a bit, but I would make that a last resort.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Bulgy waffle mags sometimes need to be filed down a bit to fit. This recent thread talks about it toward the bottom.

Bulgy Waffle Mags

The 75-round drum that you had Duracoated may need to be sanded at the top where it inserts into the mag well. If possible, see if it fits into another AK, or a friend's AK as is. If not, you may have to open up the mag well a bit, but I would make that a last resort.

I had the AK duracoated not the drum mag. I think its a Romanian AK but I'm not sure if that has any affect on it accepting mags.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
WASR?

you magwell is out of spec probably, and needs to be enlarged
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually it has everything to do with fitting the mags. Each Romanian has the mag well manually opened up from a single stack low cap to a high cap. Every one of my Romanians is opened up just slightly different. 3 will accept Bulgys and drums and 2 won't.

I elected not to open up the mag well so that the magazine wobble doesn't get any worse. I  no longer purchase an AK without bringing a Bulgy mag with me to test fit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey I just got my AK back from the Gunsmith it was having a duracoat finish put on it. While it was gone I bought some AK Bulgarian waffle mags & a Romanian 75rd drum mag. I Cant get the waffle mags or the drum mag to fit. It came with some 30rd mags that fit it fine but whats up with the waffle & drum mags?

Romanian Wasrs are known for this - (sloppy cut magwell )

Go here for the FIX. www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/wasrwell.htm

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually it has everything to do with fitting the mags. Each Romanian has the mag well manually opened up from a single stack low cap to a high cap. Every one of my Romanians is opened up just slightly different. 3 will accept Bulgys and drums and 2 won't.

I elected not to open up the mag well so that the magazine wobble doesn't get any worse. I  no longer purchase an AK without bringing a Bulgy mag with me to test fit.

Only the WASR10's are like that none of the other romy AK's are opened up.

The others like the SAR and WUM are built to coorect specs for STANDARD(sorry i hate the term hi capacity if the gun was designed for that mag) 30 round mags and drums
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks so much guns this is why I love this site.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top