Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/22/2007 8:56:35 AM EDT
I just got 3 yugo AK bolt hold open mags.....covereed in cosmo and some light rust.....what is the best way to clean these things, I have heard leaving them to soak in gas(dont know how safe that is, and if ok for how long?)  

rusting issue I have heard use a very fine sandpaper(what kind?) or will a green scrubbly(used to wash dishes work ok?)

any help or advice greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Try soaking the mags in Mineral Spirits until the Cosmoline disolves and runs out, let air dry, than use either CLP or WD40 on a scrubby pad for the rust,  works great!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I just cleaned up my mags from Sportsman's Guide this weekend. I picked up some cleaner called Greased Lightning at Lowe's. It did a pretty good job of dissolving the cosmoline, except for the really heavy, dried deposits. I just let the mags soak in a bucket for a while, then lightly scrubbed them with a nylon brush. You definitely want to wear rubber gloves and glasses, though! (The same would be true with mineral spirits or any other solvent.) It was pretty low odor (I left the bucket sitting in the garage for two days -- no smell at all).

A couple of hours work and I had all 12 cleaned and ready to go!

Jim
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top