Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2006 8:44:30 PM EDT
I've been using gas but then I still have to use the toothbrush to get it perfect. After about 7 mags seems like the gas has lost its umph. Just been using a little in a pan. New ones for $13 may have been the way to go unless the are packed in cosmo too.Is Diesel fuel any better?
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I used some "Odorless" (yeah right) Mineral Spirits and a paint brush on a Mosin last night, When you get the big chunks off, get a can or two of some Non-chlorinated brake cleaner and hose everything (even the wood) down.

let the stock sit for 10 mins or so while I came back down from mars, threw a quick layer of stain on it and wiped it off.

Oiled, Re-assembled.  Took about 30 mins.

Edit: Pic. Edit: Pic removed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if I was the only person that noticed that the Magazine Forum had a post titled Cosmo sucks?  Sure, the articles are lame, but sometimes there are a lot of good T and A pics.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I might still be a bit braindead over the brake cleaner.. I just noticed you were talking about mags.

Oh well.. same idea works on the mags.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
penetrating oil in a spray can. spray on, let sit 10min. wipe off with cloth, and it will leave a light coat of oil
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Get some regular WD40 and forget about the stuff that can blow up, and /or cause you to have kids born without heads!!! WD strips it right off and no worries about burning down the house.......
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 4:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've been using gas but then I still have to use the toothbrush to get it perfect. After about 7 mags seems like the gas has lost its umph. Just been using a little in a pan. New ones for $13 may have been the way to go unless the are packed in cosmo too.Is Diesel fuel any better?

send me 13 a mag and i will do it for you
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a gallon can of WD-40 from home depot for $12 and a 50 pack of disposable latex gloves for $4.  I put the wd-40 in a spray bottle.  Lasts forever and works great along with paper towels removing the cosmoline.    
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Disassemble the mags and put them in a clear Zip Lock bag or any kind of Plastic bag, and let them sit in the Sun. After a little while the Cosmo will liquefy and then wipe them off. Best and simple way I have found to deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get some regular WD40 and forget about the stuff that can blow up,

apparently you've never chased bugs around with WD-40 and lighter...

Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah the WD will ignite, but not as volitile as Gas or kerosene..... not nearly as fume combustible.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
1+ on the WD40
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Cosmo sucks
Rust sucks more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cosmo sucks
Rust sucks more.

apparently you did not see some of my SG rusty, dented magazines that had a protective covering of cosmo over them
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got back to looking here after most is said and done. I found that the wd-40 was the way to go it worked a lot better than gas. I figured they would strip about the same but  O no. I put alchol in a spray bottle for the final rinse then re-oiled. WD-40 is the BEST and any left over you can attack the red ant bed in flame-thrower style.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I had to strip down some phosphated SIG mags the other night before a match.  I pulled the mag bodies, sprayed them off with a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and then wiped them down with some SLIP2000.  The whole process was quick and painless, and put six more magazines in my range bag.  GTG.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cosmo sucks
Rust sucks more.

apparently you did not see some of my SG rusty, dented magazines that had a protective covering of cosmo over them
Maybe a sad sack pinko slapped Cosmo on already rusted mags.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top