Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:33:41 PM EDT
I just got a 74 bulgy mag and it`s a dark chocolate color. Much darker than the milk-in-coffee color browns I have. Anyone else have one of these? I`d like to get a few more of these darker brown mags. Thanks, J R...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a arrow in triangle or star stamped on the bottom side of the magazine?

Are there any markings on the floorplate or follower, or the sides or back of the mag?

What color are the lips and the floorplate?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
KVAR has some of the brown mags listed. Are these the type you're looking for?

www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16142&cat=248&page=2
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the 3 different Bulgy brown colors, with some EG for reference.
Brown, saddle brown, and fire brick. Then EG
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all responses, hkinfl, this one appears to match the firebrick darkness in the pic. It has no redness though as I guess a firebrick named color would have. I haven`t ordered or bought any mags designated "firebrick" so I have no mag of reference. The one I got is dark chocolate brown. Gonna try to find a few more. Thanks for the effort on the pic, J R...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
If it helps, I've noticed that some sellers call the fire-brick mags "Bulgarian plum".
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here's the 3 different Bulgy brown colors, with some EG for reference.
Brown, saddle brown, and fire brick. Then EG
img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/jtefsu/000_0044.jpg

You sure you don't have the firebrick & saddle brown mixed up?  I've got both, AFAIK the firebrick is much more red & the saddle brown is a dark chocolate brown (unlike the regular Bulgy brown being a kinda milk chocolate).  But I bought both my firebrick & saddle brown mags from K-Var at the same time & the pix on their website leave a bit to be desired.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You sure you don't have the firebrick & saddle brown mixed up?  I've got both, AFAIK the firebrick is much more red & the saddle brown is a dark chocolate brown (unlike the regular Bulgy brown being a kinda milk chocolate).  But I bought both my firebrick & saddle brown mags from K-Var at the same time & the pix on their website leave a bit to be desired.  

I've always thought that "brown" was the dark/chocolate color (to the right in the pic above), "saddle brown" or "saddle tan" was lighter ("milk in coffee" is a good description, like the ones on the left), and "firebrick" was reddish like the ones in the middle.

K-VAR's pictures suck, but there's also a lot of variation even within the various color categories. I've bought "firebrick" mags that have almost no red in them at all, and "plum" mags that are virtually black.

Are the colors we're talking even the official Bulgarian descriptions, or do they just consider them all "brown"? If the color names are arbitrary, that would complicate matters even more, since one man's "firebrick" might be another's "saddle tan"...

But hey, seeing all the different color variations is part of the fun of collecting!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've always thought that "brown" was the dark/chocolate color (to the right in the pic above), "saddle brown" or "saddle tan" was lighter ("milk in coffee" is a good description, like the ones on the left), and "firebrick" was reddish like the ones in the middle.

My first non EG bakelite mags were the standard Bulgy "brown" mags which are ~ the same color as the ones on the far left in the pic.  At the time they were quite the deal at ~$15 (during the AWB).  Now they go for $9  Oh well.....I'd much rather lose money because the AWB went away.

But hey, seeing all the different color variations is part of the fun of collecting!

I still have some big holes in my mag collection.  
So far:
Bulgarian black circle 10 & 21 mags, need some circle 25 Optico Electron
Bulgy brown
Bulgy firebrick
Bulgy saddle brown
Russian plum (new & used, one sanitized)  All Izzy though the sanitized looks like it might have been Tula.  I especially like the "trench art" soldier graffitti on the used mags.
East German Bakelite
Polish steel
Romanian steel stubby 10rndrs

On the list:
Polish poly
Russian bakelite
The 45 rnd RPK74 mags are a bit too rich for my blood, not to mention the poly RPK74 mags $$$$$

Favorite mags to use?  Bakelites.  They just feel more solid & 'snick!' right in place.  And I actually like the funky red-orange color.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Polish Polymer mags are easy to get, you can get 5 of them for $60 or one for $15 each at the following link: www.jandcsales.com/Ak_accessories.htm#synmag

ETA: MAN I want a Bakelite mag, ANY kind, it just needs to be in 7.62x39mm... the only one I have found for sale was $75, and I haven't been able to get it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:14:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Polish Polymer mags are easy to get, you can get 5 of them for $60 or one for $15 each at the following link: www.jandcsales.com/Ak_accessories.htm#synmag

The mags in the link above appear to be 7.62x39; I think Riff was talking about Polish 5.45 polys, as in Tantal mags.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top