Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 12:38:50 PM EDT
Guys,

I found an AK magazine here in Baghdad today that stumps me.  It's a Chinese magazine with a spine on the back like a Russian/East Euro mag, but it has either a VERY professional (which is not possible in Iraq) or factory cut-away on the left side that suggests a training magazine.  And to top it off, it's stangely wrapped tight in tin foil...one of the many mysterious, yet goofy things Haji does to poor AK's and RPG's after he hears a rumor that it will make it perform better or something.  

I put a photo on the KCA forum but thought others might enjoy seeing it - if someone can e-mail me, I can send it to them to be posted/hosted (I'm not able to do it).

Thanks!
Chris
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
"or factory cut-away on the left side that suggests a training magazine"

Roger that - training magazine.  Beyond that, dunno.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm almost sure it is but I think it's quite an odd bird to find a Chinese ribbed training magazine.  I'm debating on taking the tin foil off but my historical preservation side tells me to just leave it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Rayman1,

Email sent,  I'll host your pics.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for the pic.

eta  lightened pic.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If it is a trianing mag maybe the foil is for a visibility reason. Easier to see it a mag in in the gun type thing. Cheap yet efective. Just a thought
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:41:39 AM EDT
[#7]
why would someone need training on a magazine?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi Chris-
I'm taking the liberty of cross-posting this on the KCA site and here, also.

The rib pattern on your cut-away magazine isn't Chinese. It looks Yugoslavian to me. The bottom two, horizontal ribs extend across into the "step" on a ChiCom mag, while the Yugo ribs are shorter, like the top mag in this picture:

I can take a better picture of my ribbed ChiCom mag later, but you can kind of see what I mean on the mag on the left here (both mags are ChiCom):

Did the Iraqis ever manufacture magazines in the Yugoslavian style?

-Rich
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I am thinking that the cut was done by the locals so that they could see how many rounds were left in the mag. Have seen similar mags from Afganistan.

THe foil could have been done by other user.. Perhaps it was his Jerry rigged way of covering up the whole, then later it wore away..

Thats my idea anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bump for the pic.

eta  lightened pic.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/osprey21/kfTrainingAKMag1.jpg

what are you guys talking about thats Iraq bling.....they are on a budget over there
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am thinking that the cut was done by the locals so that they could see how many rounds were left in the mag.

My thought also.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Home now, so I took a quick picture.

Here's a comparison of a ChiCom spined magazine with a Yugoslavian. Both are unlike the common European mags in that there are only two raised ribs near the bottom of the mag body, but have patterns different from each other.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Global Trades used to sell mags just like that, not sure if they still do.

Many nations made/make them for cut away trainers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, guys.  Great help on the ID.  Yugo.  I have seen a great many Yugo mags, then.  But this is the first I've seen cut-away.  I guess the user wanted to accentuate his silver-plated Saddam gift Yugo AK with the right colored magazine.

Off topic - I found a Tula bakelite 7.62mm the other day and found 3 RPG's new in crate.  Two were Chinese and one with a Chinese scope.  Nice.  All three smothered in cosmoline with barely a scratch on them.  They were given back to the Iraqi Army.  So, we'll see them again on the streets eventually.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys.  Great help on the ID.  Yugo.  I have seen a great many Yugo mags, then.  But this is the first I've seen cut-away.  I guess the user wanted to accentuate his silver-plated Saddam gift Yugo AK with the right colored magazine.

Off topic - I found a Tula bakelite 7.62mm the other day and found 3 RPG's new in crate.  Two were Chinese and one with a Chinese scope.  Nice.  All three smothered in cosmoline with barely a scratch on them.  They were given back to the Iraqi Army.  So, we'll see them again on the streets eventually.

This is kind of off topic but what kind of weapons do you usually find and what countries are they from. Are most of them Chiniese?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm thinking that the guy found a Yugo training mag, but didn't want sand and dirt to get in it, so he wrapped it in foil to protect the ammo. Over time and with use the foil wore off.

Is it legal to bring mags back from Iraq if they are unloaded? If so, you could become a millionare by bringing back and selling Russian AK mags, SVT-40 mags, PSL mags, Dragunov mags, and other fun stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#20]
My 2 tours there 2003/2004 as Marine Infantry.

Iraqi Tabuk(yugo)
Yugo AK
Romanian underfolder with freont pistol grip
Polish

The amount of H&K weapons kind of pissed me off though.....fucking french, and germans selling even newer items up through late 90's.

And wierdly enough. British Comm devices, and optics, are everywhere. Newer shit too!

But mostly Gen 1 Russian optics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is a pic of another cut away AK mag that I found.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I find a lot of Chinese and ComBloc magazines.  And lots of Yugo magazines, obviously.  Quite honestly, there's no telling why Haji put foi on the magazine but it goes around the edge of teh cut part, so it was not for covering the open section.  It was for training and the foinl was probably to give it a more distinct look for training.  I don't know.

I pulled the furniture off an Izzy AKMS the other day and will tyr to send it back home among a bunch of wood souvenirs.  I find a lot of exotic weapons - the other day we had 4 Iranian (German contract) G-3's, a Sten gun, a Sterling, two Swedish K's, a Thompson, a PPSh, several WWII German Mausers, British SMLE's, and M1 Garands.  And lots of mint 7.92mm rounds for the Sturmgewehr.  Wish I could bring all those home!  

Of AK's, you name it and I've darn near found it with the exception of North Korean.  There's Polish, East German, Chinese, Russian, Iraqi, Hungarian, Romanian, Czech (their old-school version of the AK), etc.  I have a photo of variety of them I laid-out here to show the difference.  If anyone wants, just send me your e-mail address and maybe someone can host it here.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I find a lot of Chinese and ComBloc magazines.  And lots of Yugo magazines, obviously.  Quite honestly, there's no telling why Haji put foi on the magazine but it goes around the edge of teh cut part, so it was not for covering the open section.  It was for training and the foinl was probably to give it a more distinct look for training.  I don't know.

I pulled the furniture off an Izzy AKMS the other day and will tyr to send it back home among a bunch of wood souvenirs.  I find a lot of exotic weapons - the other day we had 4 Iranian (German contract) G-3's, a Sten gun, a Sterling, two Swedish K's, a Thompson, a PPSh, several WWII German Mausers, British SMLE's, and M1 Garands.  And lots of mint 7.92mm rounds for the Sturmgewehr.  Wish I could bring all those home!  

Of AK's, you name it and I've darn near found it with the exception of North Korean.  There's Polish, East German, Chinese, Russian, Iraqi, Hungarian, Romanian, Czech (their old-school version of the AK), etc.  I have a photo of variety of them I laid-out here to show the difference.  If anyone wants, just send me your e-mail address and maybe someone can host it here.  

I'll host it, IM sent for it :)

And, thanks to all you guys for your service
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
what, yall didnt know? the foil makes it shoot faster
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I can't wait to see the pics.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
... If anyone wants, just send me your e-mail address and maybe someone can host it here.  

imageshack.us/

^ free & easy place to host images (no sign-up required).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top