Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/3/2005 9:05:37 AM EDT
I just bougth an Arsenal (Bulgarian parts) milled reciever SA M-5 "S" in 5.56x45mm and it came with an olive green waffle pattern magazine marked "5.56" that has a molded in "10" inside of a circle. I bought a second magazine that is identical except for the color; it is clear.

Here is the problem: it fails to feed about 10% of the time. I can chamber the 1st round (whether its the 1st of 30 or if there are only a couple of rounds in the magazine). It fires, but the following round gets stuck before the bullet reaches the chamber.

To clear this Malf, about half the time, I can just pull back the carrier handle & release by hand & it will chamber. However, several rounds woulf not feed and the bullets were pushed back into the cases (ruining the round).

I am using the new Polymer coated Wolf ammo, 62 grn hollow point. It also did this w/ some FMJ surplus 5.56 of mixed origin.

I am really not interested in switching ammo. That does not fix the problem here (and an AK that is only 80% reliable IS a problem). This is an AK; it should work with Factory ammo and all the other AKs I own (SAR-3 and Bulgarian SLR-95) work with all the ammo I have tried - including the new Wolf (heck, they worked with old Wolf).   BOTH polymer 5.56mm magazines had this trouble. It did not seem limited to a certain round in the mag. It was just periodic.  Frustrating.

Anybody had this trouble? Any ideas?

Also, assuming I can get this problem fixed, where can I buy more of the clear magazines?

Thanks guys.

Moderator: due to lack of responses here, I am re-posting to the "troubleshooting" section too; Feel free to delete duplicate post if necessary. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
"rare chance the feedramp did not get installed"

Funny you mention that. I could swear that the usual feed ramp/rivet that is installed in my other AKs is not present in this Arsenal milled rec.  

I will check after work. I thought it was simply part of the 5.56mm milled receiver design.  Do the Arsenal 5.56mm milled guns come with a ramp installed?

My other post yielded the suggestion that I work the followers up & down in the 2 tubes to wear them in. Any other suggestions to try for proper functioning?  

Also, where can I buy more of the clear magazines?

Thanks again.

CBR
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Checked & the bullet guide is there; Arsenal did a good job of grinding down the rivet & finishing over it, but its there.

Removed carrier & bolt, & w/ a loaded mag in place, I fed a few rounds. They are hitting the barrel face a little below the ramp that is cut into the barrel.  Maybe FMJs will feed better than JHPs.

Shame though as I like the JHPs as their accuracy seems a little better for some reason.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top