Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/10/2004 6:35:45 AM EDT
It is known that there are factory 30rd Russian made SAIGA magazines available even to our European friends. Now that the ban appears likely to sunset, are we able to import some of these 30rd 5.56 SAIGA mags? I know that the big issue regarding 5.56 AK's has been mags. To get factory mags for the 5.56 SAIGA would certainly solve this. I do beleive the mags are polymer too BTW.

If I am wrong in any of the above please do let me know as I would appreciate the most accurate info possible.

TED
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, its kind of a weird situation with them .

The Saiga is importable because it doesnt accept hi-cap mags. Yes, there are Saiga hi-caps but they are not interchangable with the standard AK mag and are not imported.

If EAA or someone else imported Saiga hi-caps, then the ATF could then say the Saiga is not importable because hi-caps are availible for it.

Some will slip thru from Europe, but I doubt they will be imported in large numbers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the Saiga WOULD be importable with hi-caps...

You are allowed *ONE* evil feature on an imported gun, HCAFDs count.

Since the Saiga does not have any of the others, it is still importable...

Just like you don't need US parts to convert one to AK hi-caps or pistol grip, but you need US-parts to do both....

So as long as they don't have PGs, they are importable.

Just like the ARMSCOR M1As.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
If that's the case, then why hasnt EAA or others been importing pistol griped Saigas all along? Even companies that import them just to convert (Hesse is an example) have not.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/report.htm

Check the above ruling a imported semi auto rifle that uses a magazine that holds more than 10rds is not importable.  A domestic made semi auto rifle can have one evil feature and a imported rifle can't have any. So a Saiga with a pistol grip wouldn't be importable.
A imported semi auto rifle must have US parts added to convert it to use hi cap mags or a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/report.htm

Check the above ruling a imported semi auto rifle that uses a magazine that holds more than 10rds is not importable.  A domestic made semi auto rifle can have one evil feature and a imported rifle can't have any. So a Saiga with a pistol grip wouldn't be importable.
A imported semi auto rifle must have US parts added to convert it to use hi cap mags or a pistol grip.

Exactly. And the conversion must be made in the US after importation. Importing hi-caps for the Saiga would result in it being non-importable .
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top