Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 7:56:06 PM EDT
I read in another forum that by replacing the follwer with a follwer from a 5 or 10 rnd mag you can put 25 rounds in the mag! I just ordered 12 follwers from Tapco and 8 more 20rnd mags. Tapco's latest catalog says that their follwer allows 5 more rounds in any doublestack 7.62 AK mag. Will this reduce reliabilty? Is it gonna be hard on the mag spring? I won't keep the mags loaded to capacity(25rnds), but plan on keeping them loaded with 20 to reduce the chance of "spring fatigue". I figure you can top of later but still be able to keep mags loaded just in case. What do you all think? Opinions please.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
For short term use it shouldn't hurt the magazine.

Now, I am not 100% sure about this but I think making a 20 round magazine into a mag that can hold more than the designed capacity is illegal. Like I said, I am not 100% sure.

Although your chances of getting caught or even known or completely out of this world low.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Now, I am not 100% sure about this but I think making a 20 round magazine into a mag that can hold more than the designed capacity is illegal. Like I said, I am not 100% sure.

The way I understand it is: If you take a <10rd mag and convert it to >10rds, then you've made an illegal magazine. But it's okay to make a >10rd mag. hold more.

So 10rds to 11 is a no-no. But 20rds to 25 is okay.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A magazine that is pre ban and holds more than 10 rounds can be altered to hold more rounds than it was intended to, i.e a 20 rounder can be made to hold 25 and so forth.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top