Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/16/2003 12:36:19 PM EDT
Can you coat the AK mags with CLP breakfree , I know it's a hell no with AR mags ?
THANKS GUYS...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
what...nobody knows !!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Go ahead, they should be fine as long as it is a very thin film. My used mag purchase routine is to hose it out with WD40, slip a blue shop rag thru it, shake it back/forth, wipe down the innards, and enjoy no more hassles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't use any lubrication on my mags, in and out...only thing I do when I bought a new one is take it apart and remove any cosmoline that might be on or in the magazine. I got some ChiCom 30rnders that were giving me all kinds of feeding trouble until I found out the things had a thick cover of cosmoline causing the magspring to literally stick in the housing.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Ihave never seen any reason to clean or lube them, except for cases when they were coated with cosmoline.

I merely wipe the mag down with a silicone gun cloth to make sure there is no moisture that could cause rust if there is a scratch on them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I do put a light coat of oil on the spring. This is just because in my state during the summer its very very VERY humid and I was to prevent as much rust as possible.

I also wipe down mags that haven't been used in a while with a very light coat of oil from time to time for the same reason.

Its not for everyone, but it has worked for me. I have found a few mags before I started to do this with some mild corrosion and rust. Since I began this process I there has been no more occurrences.

When you buy steel Magazines in Bulk, they are wrapped with oil soaked paper(brown parer like that of paper grocery bags). So there must be good reason for that. My guess is to prevent rust.

Just my 2¢!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Why can't you use CLP on AR15 mags?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why can't you use CLP on AR15 mags?

I IM ya !!!
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top