Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/28/2003 12:59:39 PM EDT
Well, I just ordered a SAR 2 from Aim but I have no idea on where to get mags.  Steel or Waffle? Best price/quality? I've done the search thing, but it either doesn't go back far enough or there isn't a post about it.  If you just want to point me in the right direction thats fine.

Thanks,
Nismofun
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You are going to have a hard time finding steel mags for the SAR-2. But dont worry. There are plenty of good mags out there.

The E German Bakelite are the cheapest and most plentiful mags on the market. They are really great mags too so dont be fooled by th elow price.

Also, you can find different polymer mags that are black, brown and plum in color. Also, mags with the capacity of 40 -50 rounds are starting to be seen on the market.

A few places to buy that you can look into from the top of my head:
K-Var
Ohio Ordinace
The EE thats here on ARFCOM
CDNN
FAC RPB

HTH!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the sites...

I was looking at k-var and for the bulgaria mags they have like 4 or 5 different ones ranging from $11-25.  Is there any significant difference between them?  The site doesn't have much information about them other than product codes and prices.

Thanks again,
Nismofun
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Northridge has a 4 pack of East German mags in a pouch w/cleaning kit, stipper clips for $25.00

www.northridgeinc.com/sp_mags.htm
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I take it that's a good deal, but has anyone ordered from Northridge before? How was the service?

Nismofun
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've ordered 2 sets yesterday.  The lady told me that it would ship w/ in 2 weeks. Yikes!!

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130597
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered 10 NIW AK-74/SAR-2 mags from herewww.oldgunsupply.com/Magazines.php?id=279&PHPSESSID=51002dda26dbc7b90845c8b2af6c5b03. I ordered over the phone on monday and they arrived wednesday. I prefer the bakalite's myself because they are cheaper in price and just feel a little more solid than the black bulgy's.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I take it that's a good deal, but has anyone ordered from Northridge before? How was the service?

Nismofun

I've ordered from them a while back and it took a couple weeks for the mags to arrive, but the mags & accessories were in excellent condition.

Here is another place I found that has the east german bakelites for $5 each.

www.rpbusa.net/
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Will mags that had the .223 follower still work with the 5.45mm ammo?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Since no one answered, I tried the mag and it works fine, but every now and then the last round feeds funny...
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Since no one answered, I tried the mag and it works fine, but every now and then the last round feeds funny...

Hmmm,
I dont see why this would be.

Is it possible for you to post pics?
If you want to send them to me for hosting I can do it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Nismofun

Jump on the deal, cause you ain't gonna find nothing cheaper.....BTW i bought 2 packs they work fine!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was looking at k-var and for the bulgaria mags they have like 4 or 5 different ones ranging from $11-25.  Is there any significant difference between them?  

The price difference is due to collector value of the different colors. Rare colors go for more than common ones. I don't think there is any significant difference between the Bulgarians. I have seen some $80+ rare colors. Clear ones are out there as well.

Some people think, probably rightly so, that the cheap common East German bakelites are the strongest and best. You can always paint them and have the best of both worlds cheaply.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can always paint them and have the best of both worlds cheaply.

Yep,

I have done this and they came out really well. Make sure you give them a good sanding before you spray the paing on the mags though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I have done this and they came out really well

What kind of paint did you use? (enamel, etc.)

Thanks.

SD
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:04:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nismofun

I've ordered from them a while back and it took a couple weeks for the mags to arrive, but the mags & accessories were in excellent condition.

www.rpbusa.net/

This website only has a welcome page. It isn't working yet...

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nismofun

www.rpbusa.net/

This website only has a welcome page. It isn't working yet...

Thanks

They must have recently updated their site. I suggest you give them a call and tell them what you are interested in. Based on what their site looked like previously, they aren't really too concerned with their site, but they had the goods.

If you call them, make sure to let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Nismofun

I ordered a set from Northridge on 8/29, and it arrived 9/16 (the confirmation email said it would take 2-3 weeks).  The set came sealed in a plastic bag.  The magazines and other metal parts (except the blank firing adapter) were wrapped in paper, and for all I could tell, could have been made yesterday.  I was rather skeptical of the bakelite magazines before I got to handle them, but these things are very sturdy; they made me a believer.  I am quite satisfied with what I got for $20 + shipping, and I don't even own a 5.45 AK...yet.  Buy all the pieces of the set elsewhere, and you could pay over twice what Northridge is selling these for.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top