Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 10:48:33 PM EDT
[b][u]Romanian Drum Loading[/u][/b]

First you take thumb lever and push it counter clockwise with loading slot facing you.(Bullet-like guide insert show you the way to point it.)

Second,slide bullet into space provided.

Third, pull lever down to push bullet to top of of magazine. These simple steps must be repeated every time for all 75 rounds, so expect your left thumb to get real sore, because the Russian design team put the curve the wrong way and the tab is to small. The bullets do come out real fast but the loading time is a little long in comparision to the Chicom ones.

[red]Thanks to the member "545x45" for typing this![/red]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Found better way to keep the sore thumb problem down. Place fingers of left hand against top of magazine and squeeze hand together pushing lever up and causin' bullet dummies to drop. It is still clunk and click but it loads so much faster. Just can't hold enough ammo in right hand to slip in slot fast enough for me. this cut loadin' time in half and improve grip strength of left hand.You really can figure out if you are real bored.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
My Romanian drum comes apart different then what you have said.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My Romanian drum comes apart different then what you have said.

Are you sure it isnt Chinese? Do you have a pic?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I know for a fact it's not Chinese. I have some pics on my web page. But my web page has been down latey.
Link Posted: 1/29/2004 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I took mine apart and it unwound the spring tension. How tight should I re-wind it??
Link Posted: 1/29/2004 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Any way to mod them so that they can be loaded like a Chinese mag?  I remember WAVE had one down at the range and loading it up took longer than loading 3 standard 30 round AK mags
Link Posted: 1/30/2004 2:41:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Added Chinese Drum Link!
3-30-04
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the Chinese drum loading link! I bought a 100rd drum, and could'nt figure out how to load it correctly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2004 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Good job on that chinese drum link......
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I took mine apart and it unwound the spring tension. How tight should I re-wind it??

I seem to recall it being 4 complete rotations.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
the way they explain it you will never get all 75 rounds in the drum there might be like 20r 3 shells that will never make it in
Link Posted: 9/4/2006 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Can a person use a speedloader and stripper clips with a romy drum?  

I have been wanting to purchase one but the chinesese seems worth the extra 50bucks over the romy.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I Thought I'd Put up a Post That I wish I'd found while looking for Info on  My Newly Aquired Rommanian AK47 Drum
How To Take it apart & How To Set The Tention..
When I Got My Drum From The KCR Gunshoot it would only take 15-20 rounds..
I'm Not sure if They all come this way but the spring was wound all but one revolution tight..
To Open The Drum You need a large flat screwdriver, You depress the center of the Aluminum Hubs Spindle Tab & Turn Counterclockwise 1/4 turn & the Hub nut removes..
You then can remove the rear cover plate & see inside..
Notice that there's a metal Wheel with several fingers, The One with the serial Number was up against the Follower that resembles three bullets with a tab on the lower one..
To Remove the tention you must first remove the follower, By rotating the Wheel clockwise until you can remove the follower,
NOTE: The Wheel is Very Sharp & Could Easliy Cut off a finger if the tention is released causeing it to spin
WARNING BE VERY CAREFULL, One should maybe wear Gloves while doing this

Remove the tention by carefully turning Counterclockwise with your thumbs, Once the tention is released the Wheel can be removed by depressing the center spring loaded button & then turn the holder up so the wheel can be removed..
I cleaned mine with Brake parts Cleaner paying attention to get all the Cosmoline off the spring & all inerds.
I then Lubed it up with Rem Dry Lube, Graphite or other dry lubes could also be used, I also put white grease on the spindle were the wheel toches it while turning, I also lightly oiled the finger that indexes the wheel while loading..
Also Note that there's three positions on the hub were the spring can first catch..
On my Drum It required 3 1/3 Turns of tention to allow all 75 rounds to be loaded while still having enough tention on the first few rounds, It Took several tries to get it right..
Once the tention of 3 1/3 turns was applied the follower was put back in & the tention of the wheel is released onto the follower, Then the Holder is switched back horizontal to keep the Wheel from coming off.
Then the Cover can be replaced & the Hub Nut Installed by pressing it onto the Hub & Turning 1/4 Turn Clockwise
I Hope This Help Someone Out There, Here's a few pics that I took while taking it apart to show..
Enjoy!! Gary/B92
Romy Drum

Removing Nut

Mag Follower

Removing Follower

Follower Removed

Drum Completely Apart

Link Posted: 1/5/2008 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Great pictures. The Romy I just got from Copes doesn't have a follower. Is that bad?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]
does a turn mean a full 360 of the internal mechanism?
i turned mine 3 turns and it seems way too tight.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#18]
How do you open up the ratchet part of a Soviet drum?  Mine sticks occasionally.

Edit:  Oop, figured it out.  Stick a small punch down the hole, and rotate the knob.
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]
awesome! I thought my drum was junk, I just cleaned it and added more tension! I have a feeling it will work a lot better! Can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 11/26/2008 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone know of any how to videos on you tube for the romanian style?
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone know of any how to videos on you tube for the romanian style?

Here toy go

Romy drum vid

Link Posted: 1/20/2009 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't see how the Chinese instructions listed here are correct, there is not even 75 rounds loaded in the drum in the picture and a few steps are left out.

I posted the correct loading instructions for the Chinese drum mags in the Chinese section a while back. Last post at the bottom.

Click Here

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#23]
what do you guys think about storing loaded romy drums?  ii've had two of them for a while now but i really never play with them because loading them is such a process.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't own any drum magazines but I have always been taught that storing magazines loaded for long periods of time was a bad idea because it will wear on the springs over time. If you really want to keep a drum loaded at all times I would get 3 to 4 of them and change them out every week. Again I don't have any experience with drum magazines, this is just my 2 ct. worth

One question I do have for people that have owned both the Chinese and Romanian drums is which one is better and what is the price difference for the better made ones if there is one? Thanks in advance for the info.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#25]
anyone have a copy of the pdf file for the Chinese mag instructions - the link in the first post does not seem to work for me...

Thanks !

LT
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top