Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2003 12:33:37 PM EDT
Forgive me if this has been touched on before...

Just as a heads up in case anybody is interested, a few days ago I received my package of 30rnd pre-ban AK mags from the CDNN Investments website.  A few months ago, before I even bought my AK, I ordered 3 NIW Bulgarian 7.62x39 magazines for $9.99 each and they are beautiful.  Now that I have the AK and really like it, I ordered 10 more mags, only this time I decided to try the "used" Russian AK mags for $6.99 each.  Not that I'm disappointed in the new Bulgarian mags I got originally, but these supposedly "used" Russian mags are great!  I swear that at least 5 of them don't have any marks of being loaded or inserted into a rifle at all.  The "worst" of the bunch looks almost new, probably 98% condition!  Not refinished either, they look simply unused with original finish.

I am very happy with these and for $6.99 for nearly new mags, to me that's a great price.  Especially when considering the prices I pay for pre-bans for my other weapons (AR, Glock, etc.)

I definitely recommend the $6.99 "used" mags from www.cdnninvestments.com if anyone's looking for more pre-ban mags (who isn't?).  I think I had them within 5 days of ordering too.

Again, just an FYI.
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review on the mags.

I am sure many people are thinking about ordering some of these mags, but just have never gotten any feedback on condition.

Link Posted: 4/13/2003 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I just received two new Bulgarian mags from CDNN and was disappointed in them. While they are a good solid mag, they were painted black. Not blued, not parkerized, painted black.

Link Posted: 4/14/2003 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just received two new Bulgarian mags from CDNN and was disappointed in them. While they are a good solid mag, they were painted black. Not blued, not parkerized, painted black.

there all like that, thats how they are supposed to be. I think it's more durable/rust resistant.
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
there all like that, thats how they are supposed to be. I think it's more durable/rust resistant.

JesseJames,

By all, do you mean just the Bulgy's.
I have other mags that are blued and parked. I prefer them that way.
Can you give me a heads up on other countries that paint them so I can make sure I don't buy them.

Thanks,

Larry

Link Posted: 4/14/2003 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, all Steel Bulgarian mags are painted as far as I know.  I have seen them several places on the net + at gun shows and they all were painted.  Possibly  some of the older ones aren't painted but I have yet to see any.  As for other countries painting their mags.  There are none that I have ever seen, but i am not a mag expert by far so it's possible.  Maby some one with more knowledge will chime in on that one.  Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

JesseJames
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks JJ,

I'm glad I only bought 2 of them or I'd really be pissed. I just hate paint on gun stuff.

I'll just have to be more careful in the future.

Larry
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks JJ,

I'm glad I only bought 2 of them or I'd really be pissed. I just hate paint on gun stuff.

I'll just have to be more careful in the future.

Larry

No flame, is it the aesthetics of the painted Bulgarian mags that some don't like?  I have a bunch of the used East German mags which work great, but I bought 5 (CDNN) of the Bulgarian ones and don't see any problem with them.  They fit great and are reliable.  Do the Bulgarian mags chip (paint) easily or are there otherwise any disadvantages?  BTW, CDNN must be out of the 6.99$ mags, since they're not listed anymore.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
C-4,

It's just a personal preference of mine that gun metal should not be painted. It has nothing to do with performance or durability. Altough, the "new" Bulgarian mags I got from CDNN were chipped when I took them out of the the bag.

Larry
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess painting their magazines makes sense, especially since the Bulgarians also final coat their AK's with a painted finish:)

If what one has is a Bulgarian variant that is Parkerized and has a black polymer stock set
(like the Arsenal USA SSR-99), then the black polymer Bulgarian waffle mags look great.

If it's a blued gun one has, then one could either use the waffle mags, or one of the many blued mags that have been available to us from other countries.

While I'm with you on not liking the look of paint on guns and their mags, the Bulgarians seem to do a nicer looking finish on their mags than their guns. Their guns finish seems different in some way. Maybe they are a bit more satin looking, where their mags finish seems more matte (flat). Their mags finish looks more business like to me.
Paint is probably the more protective final coat over the other methods commonly used, but I can understand not liking it's appearance. Even though I am not a paint fan (just not my personal preference), I do like the finish on the steel Bulgarian mags. They almost don't look painted:)

Those waffle mags sure look good on AK's with black stock sets:)    
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top