Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 2:00:48 PM EDT
Hi all - just thought I would share with you a method I've settled on that works well in cleaning standard steel AK mags.  I don't hold this up to be a "best" approach, just one that works for me.

I use standard latex gloves for the cleaning steps.

1 - Disassemble the mag

2 - Dunk all parts in a tub of mineral spirits or other petrol product (careful: do it outside for safety) and clean each part with a toothbrush thoroughly

3 - Place cleaned parts on a slab of cardboard

4 - After the parts have dried a bit (just enough to remove the drips), dunk in a bucket of warm soapy water - this should remove the mineral spirts and the remaining gunk

5 - Place the parts back on the cardboard slab or hang dry - allow them to dry fully in a well ventilated area

6 - After the parts are fully dried, take a cleaning rod and several large patches and pour liberally the CLP on the patches

7 - Swab the inside only of the magazine body with the CLP

8 - Pour liberally some CLP on an old rag and wipe down the springs

9 - After you have wiped down the springs, the rag should be well-coated with CLP - you can then wipe down using the rag the other mag parts such as the follower and floorplate

10 - Reassemble the mag

11 - Place the mags on the cardboard slab again - spray WD40 on all EXTERIOR surfaces

12 - Wipe down the exterior of the mag so there is no dripping

You are done!  

I use the CLP on the internals of the mag because I think it will allow the internals to remain well lubricated over a longer period of time.  I use WD40 on the exterior as it isn't as oily, and once it is wiped off, it does preserve the finish and provides a bit of lubrication.  It's just not as oily as using CLP externally, and I like that.  You can always reapply more WD40 later if you think it is necessary.

Hope this is of some use...

- Snacko
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top