Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/6/2018 3:37:37 PM EDT
The boys over at GunMagWarehouse put together a color guide for dying Pmags.  It could be fun to have a few of these.  Evidently you "seal" the color with a vinegar bath.  
http://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/ritdye_sand_pmags/
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Why
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vinny302:

Why
View Quote
It's a damn good way to keep track of them when you train with others and because you can.
There have been several threads on this in the last few years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Will it work on Promags? Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not?

If used for competition one's mags may be more easily distinguished from those of another competitor. And one can always combine two or more colors for a bit of camouflage without any added thickness from paint.

A number of years ago, I changed my PS90's color from OD green to black with Ritt dye although I believe you had to use a splash of green dye to keep it from turning purple.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It's so 2013, but I'm late to the party, so it's still kinda new for me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I dyed FDE mags black and an ACS stock black. It’s pretty easy, I suggest doing 2/3 second dips in order to get the shade of the color you’re going for.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:11:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#10]
<snip> you are in the wrong thread, please stay on topic as this is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
How well does that color hold up after shooting and cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
View Quote
I've had zero issues with my pink one, also used bleach, gunscrubber and an SOS pad to clean suppressor funk off of it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have dyed a few.

There's color recipes in that thread.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#14]
GMW just so happens to have Gen 3 sand Pmags on sale for 90 bucks a 10 pack too.

I grabbed 10 last week.

ETA: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/all-magazines/handguns
dryflash3
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DevJames:
GMW just so happens to have Gen 3 sand Pmags on sale for 90 bucks a 10 pack too.

I grabbed 10 last week.
View Quote
gen 3 AK mags? where the hell!?
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 2:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Z09SS] [#16]
Originally Posted By wormraper:

View Quote
GMW has the Gen 3 Sand AK PMAG for $24 each.  ETA:  $15 each in a ten pack!

The AR Gen 3's are the $90 for ten.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Vinny302:

Why
View Quote
I picked up the Sand MOE set on clearance,  but when I got it on the rifle I thought it was too light.
I followed the gunmagwarehouse link, but couldn't find the dye I wanted locally. So I went with tan.
I ended up putting the whole bottle in a gallon of water and letting it soak a long time.

I've shot about 60 rounds since I did it, but it's holding up to CLP OK.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Got a 10 pack of Sand from GMW last week.

Having a hard time deciding between Harvest, Apple Green, or Cocoa Brown. I think Harvest would be the best for keeping track of my gear at training classes where there are always piles of unmarked black PMAGs on the ground after a few drills.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 4:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terrato] [#19]
First attempt: the temperature of the water seems to make a huge difference in the outcome. As the water cooled, the Sand PMAGs seemed to take on almost none of the dye.

Color: Cocoa Brown
Water: Approx 1/2 gal, boiling at start
Environment: uninsulated garage, outside temp. 41 F

Left to right:
1st Batch: Started with 1 tablespoon of dye, boiling water
Sand PMAG M3; 4 min total
FDE PMAG M2; 4 min total

2nd Batch: +1 tablespoon of dye, water had cooled for about 10 min
Sand PMAG M3; 8 min total
FDE PMAG M2; 8 min total

3rd Batch: water had cooled for an additional 10 min
Sand PMAG M3; 16 min total
FDE PMAG M2; 16 min total

I'm going to re-dye all of these in boiling water, 2 tbl of dye to get a deeper color on them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Same mags, second time around.

4 tbl Cocoa Brown
~1 gal hot water
~15 min cook time

Sand M3 on top
FDE M2 on bottom

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terrato] [#21]
Rows: FDE Gen 2, Sand Gen 3.
Columns: Cocoa Brown, Harvest Orange, Apple Green.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By wormraper:

View Quote
AR. Forgot what forum I was in when I posted that...

I've heard they're discontinuing the sand mags across the board.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DevJames:

AR. Forgot what forum I was in when I posted that...

I've heard they're discontinuing the sand mags across the board.
View Quote
They have discontinued them already.  What's still for sale is the old stock.

Turns out we might be just about the only people who were interested in the dying.  What are there, ten of us?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

L to R: magpul sand, dyed pmag, Bulgarian black, Bakelite.

I was trying for a plum color, I think more red early on would have helped.

3oz purple, 2oz wine for 20 min, rotate every 2 minutes. I did it in a foil pan that could fit a couple AK mags, water was boiling just off the stove. The mags were really purple so did another 20 min with just 3.5oz wine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MAC21500] [#25]
I dyed a US PALM grip plum by using wine and chocolate brown RIT Dye following instructions from the original thread years ago, ended up using the entirety of both bottles in a beaker on a hotplate:

Here is a CZ P07 Urban Grey dyed the same way:

Link Posted: 3/31/2018 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:

They have discontinued them already.  What's still for sale is the old stock.

Turns out we might be just about the only people who were interested in the dying.  What are there, ten of us?
View Quote
I need to get a vinyl printer so I can print patters to stick on them before dye them. I wanna try to make some tiger stripe stuff and maybe maybe mimic Rhodesian baby poop camo.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:27:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra] [#27]
Rit dye is very hard to find in my AO.

On a good day you can find maybe four to five colors, none of which i am looking for!
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Check Amazon. Pretty sure most of them are prime items.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I've dyed many of the sand mags and I've found my rit dye on eBay from multiple sellers. The prices fluctuate from color to color a bit so don't be surprised to pay a little more for black.

I did attempt a FDE that turned out very nice using camel and tan.

I made the majority of them black, just used copious amount of black dye and long submersion times. However that trick of adding in a tiny green may help a lot to keep them from having a dark purple tint. Hardly noticeable if you dye them for 30 minutes though in a ton of dye.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I dyed some yellow, I have a few more I am going to do light blue next so I can have a Easter basket.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Useful thread.  I bought some sand colored AK Pmags with the steel reinforcement at a good price.  They were much cheaper than the same mags in black.  Now I see there's a fairly simply way to get rid of that awful sand color.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:29:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#33]
View Quote
I’m very late to this discussion, but the drawback of this dying process, in my experience with PMAGs and some AR furniture, is that the dye penetration seems to be pretty shallow in the plastic. I have a OD green-dyed Sand PMAG that I dinged against something at the range, and it left a Sand colored nick in the side of the mag. The color is really only on the surface of the plastic. I’m not sure if adjusting the temperature or concentration of the dye would make it penetrate deeper. The dings aren’t a big deal, but just something you should be aware of going in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By retroangles:
Rit dye is very hard to find in my AO.

On a good day you can find maybe four to five colors, none of which i am looking for!
View Quote
Micheals, JoAnn fabrics are what you are looking for
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I’m very late to this discussion, but the drawback of this dying process, in my experience with PMAGs and some AR furniture, is that the dye penetration seems to be pretty shallow in the plastic. I have a OD green-dyed Sand PMAG that I dinged against something at the range, and it left a Sand colored nick in the side of the mag. The color is really only on the surface of the plastic. I’m not sure if adjusting the temperature or concentration of the dye would make it penetrate deeper. The dings aren’t a big deal, but just something you should be aware of going in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
It doesn't penetrate any deeper or shallower with changes to the temperature, concentration or time.

It only dyes the very surface.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#37]
i sure wish one of you guys would sale me a plum or purple 47 mag!
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Want to buy or for sale posts cannot be posted in tech forums like this one. Has to be done in the EE. From the Conduct code;

Specific to Sales

Companies or individuals interested in selling or trading equipment should resort to the Equipment Exchange. At no time should an item be listed in any discussion forum. This includes links to auctions.
View Quote
I've had a thread in ee for a month, without a single response. Nobody wont even point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top