Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/9/2013 8:34:59 PM EDT
I bought some of these mags "Polish" 40 round mags from Copes a while back.  I remember reading subsequently that there were no Polish 40 round mags manufactured.  I finally got around to taking some pictures of the mags.  I saw what looked like a capital "A" along the spine but otherwise no other markings except for the "D" as you'll see below.  Can someone identify the country of origin?

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104378 Good info in this thread, they mention a D mark as being from Hungary in the middle of the thread.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That mag looks too rough to be Polish or Hungarian.
I'd guess Romanian.

Is it painted black or just still all cosmoed up from storage?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've only seen Russian, Romanian and Korean 40 round steel mags in the US. Based on that, I would say it's Romainian. I'm totally guessing though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104378 Good info in this thread, they mention a D mark as being from Hungary in the middle of the thread.

The "D" comment being Hungarian in the link is interesting.  There are no pictures and he doesn't mention if it's on the spine or on the mag body like in my case.

Quoted:
That mag looks too rough to be Polish or Hungarian.
I'd guess Romanian.

Is it painted black or just still all cosmoed up from storage?

It's cosmoline/oil.  It looks blued (vs. being painted or parkerized).  The welds do seem "rough" so I'm leaning Romanian as well, but the "D" argument above is compelling.  I have some Hungarian 40 round mags so I'll have to pull those out for comparison, although those also could be Romanian so I would be confirming nothing.  I know mags that are sold by companies are usually labelled whatever country they are imported from so this is not a criticism of Copes at all.  I just want to know the country of origin.  They look to be in new condition.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll find that "D" style stamp on the Hungarian as well as Romanian items.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You'll find that "D" style stamp on the Hungarian as well as Romanian items.

Great.  Taking everything into consideration so far, it looks like Romanian goes to the top of the list as to the likely country of origin.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Short depression on side that turns 90 degrees, + prominent spot welds on front lug = Romy IMO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Romania and Ill bet as ugly as it is it works. Are the feed lips spotweilded also?
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top