Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 4:33:00 PM EDT
This month's Shooting Illustrated had a small piece on Tapco's new AK-74 polymer mag the article states "the magazine counts as three Section 922r-compliant parts". I was surprised to learn that a U.S. made mag (its three parts) counts toward 922r compliancy....I'm somewhat skeptical.

Can anyone confirm if a U.S. mfg mag counts towards 922r compliancy?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, 3 parts. Body, floor plate, and follower.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, of the 16 parts counted in regard to 922(r) the mag contains 3; mag body, floorplate and follower, so any mag made entirely in the US contains 3 compliance parts.

You can also replace the floorplates and/or followers on milsurp mags with US made versions to gain one or two compliance parts.  

Personally I don't trust US mags or mag parts so I keep my mags all original milsurp and change other things to meet my compliance needs.

For a look at the parts that count you can go here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just go with US followers and floorplates on all my 5.45 mags, I get 2 compliance parts and don't have to worry about sh*tty US made crap mags.

Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info I was not aware mags counted so I appreciate the confirmation.

This also helped: 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just go with US followers and floorplates on all my 5.45 mags, I get 2 compliance parts and don't have to worry about sh*tty US made crap mags.

Z

I wish I had that option.  Problem is that I only have 7.62 AKs and prefer steel milsurp mags.  Unfortunately US floor plates to fit steel 7.62 mags are no longer available and i'd rather keep my original steel followers rather than go with plastic.  If I were shooting 5.45 I'd have more options.  As it is now I just keep my mags standard milsurp steel.  I just wish the steel floor plates and followers were still being made.

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top