Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2008 8:49:52 AM EDT
With so many folks jumping on the 5.45 bandwagon lately, is someone ever going to reverse-design a 7.62 drum mag, but sized down for 5.45 ammo?

I think there would be huge interest in something like that, especially if the price could be kept comparable with the 7.62 version.

My personal preference would be to have a key-wound drum, so I could keep them loaded as long as I like. No sore thumbs from feeding ammo into it either.

Perhaps a composite drum could be made that was constructed of glass-filled nylon, or maybe Delrin. Any thoughts on this pipe dream o' mine?

-urban  
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
the Russian did make a 90rnd pan drum for 5.45 a pic of it is in the russian ak book other thab that VERY little is know of that  pan drum, i dont think it is even in production. Me personaly, id love to get ahold of one of the 60 rnd mags that is the lengh of a 30 rounder but wider obviously!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the Russian did make a 90rnd pan drum for 5.45 a pic of it is in the russian ak book other thab that VERY little is know of that  pan drum, i dont think it is even in production. Me personaly, id love to get ahold of one of the 60 rnd mags that is the lengh of a 30 rounder but wider obviously!!!!

Id be happy to buy RPK-74 mags for under the price of gold.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Look in the Magazine section there is a guy who is trying to build a sixty rounder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Could a Beta-C style 5.56 drum be modified with a new feed tower to work?  I'm not too familiar with the .22 cal rounds, but just visually, I can't tell much of a difference between 5.56 and 5.45 AK mags... they seem to have basically the same curvature.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps you speak of this sexy little beast (photo credit to whoever took the photo):

I believe there was a gentleman many years ago that did obtain one (not sure if it's the same as the prototype one in the photo but I don't believe it was) but he paid an extremely high amount of money for it.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2008 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's another goodie - belt-fed RPK with some groovily interesting modifications to the weapon (lever on opposite side):  

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
A 60 round key-wound drum would be perfect given how surplus 5.45 is packaged.This would also be a nice balance between compactness and firepower.

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top