Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/20/2007 5:58:15 PM EDT
About to burn through the last of some obscure surplus ammo I can't identify (it was given to me... all I know is that it was bought in large quantities long ago when commie ammo was disturbingly cheap relative to today's prices), and am curious to see if the hive mind could identify the sources:

1.  Steel case, laquer coated, FMJ... headstamp "7.62x39 TPZ KOPP" (no date)
2.  Copper case (wierd), FMJ, headstamp "311 93" (presuming 93 is 1993 date)

Both shoot well (appear to be non-corrosive, but not 100% on that... I always clean thoroughly after strange ammo), but the copper stuff is particularly stinky.

What say you?

EDIT:  hmmm
headstamp ID page

Says the "311" is PRC and TPZ KOPP is CZ (google turned up an article about these guys selling arms to terrorists according to the secret service)
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
#2 sounds like Chinese copper-washed steel cased ammo.  It might be steel core.  I shot a lot of this in my SKS in the late 80s/early 90s.  It's good ammo, but probably corrosive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info.  I'll be extra careful when I burn the last of this stuff (heh maybe tomorrow if I can get away)....
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe 311 1993 is lead core fmj from China.  Good stuff.   Should be non-corrosive.  I have never seen the CZ stuff.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The "TPZ KOPP" rounds were made in Russia at Tula (TPZ = Tulskiy Patronny Zavod = Tula Cartridge Works) and sold by a Czech company named KOPP as being made in Czech Republic. This was done to get around a ban on the importation of Russian ammunition in the early 1990's. These are identical to later "WOLF" cartridges in every way.

The "311" cartridges are Chinese made for the US shooter market.

AKMS
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top