Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2007 12:16:34 PM EDT
Jees, How long till they inport some 7N10?
Link Posted: 2/11/2007 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh man, that would be cool.  Hell, I'd love to have just a few rounds for my collection, but if we could get some at the same kinda discount prices we are seeing for 7n6, that would be great.
I don't know what the legality issues would be. It shouldn't be any different from the 7n6 since the core configuration is supposed to be virtually identical. Except that the 7n10 is specially hardened. I think the main thing at the moment is the fact that it is a relatively new addition to the Russian ammunition family and it will be some time before they produce enough to be surplused.
Now, if we were to see some surplus 7n22, ...well that would really be interesting.

Article:

http://club.guns.ru/eng/barnaul.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#2]
All of the newer Russian ammunition types are pretty rare still. Hard to get even single rounds for collections. The 7N10 does have a hardened steel core, but it is longer and more pointed (but still flat at the tip) than the basic 7N6. There is no airspace in the 7N10, as the steel core fills this void. Keep in mind that this is "enhanced penetration" ball ammunition, not AP. It was designed to be more effective against body armor. The Russians found out in Chechnya that steel cored 5.45 was dangerous in house to house fighting as it tended to bounce around a lot and hit the good guys too. They even went so far as to develop an "anti ricochet" load in 5.45, but I have not been able to identify it or it's construction. The "enhanced penetration" version of the 7.62x39mm steel cored ball round uses an identical steel core to the standard M-43 type, but it is hardened.

Don't hold your breath waiting for 7N10....

Devil Dog
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 1:32:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All of the newer Russian ammunition types are pretty rare still. Hard to get even single rounds for collections. The 7N10 does have a hardened steel core, but it is longer and more pointed (but still flat at the tip) than the basic 7N6. There is no airspace in the 7N10, as the steel core fills this void. Keep in mind that this is "enhanced penetration" ball ammunition, not AP. It was designed to be more effective against body armor. The Russians found out in Chechnya that steel cored 5.45 was dangerous in house to house fighting as it tended to bounce around a lot and hit the good guys too. They even went so far as to develop an "anti ricochet" load in 5.45, but I have not been able to identify it or it's construction. The "enhanced penetration" version of the 7.62x39mm steel cored ball round uses an identical steel core to the standard M-43 type, but it is hardened.

Don't hold your breath waiting for 7N10....

Devil Dog

Thanks DD,
I must have been thinking about the 7.62x39mm enhanced penetration round. Because I thought that the 7n10 was just 7n6 with a hardened core.
I don't think there should be any restrictions to importing it, but then again, I don't see why the M43 in 7.62 should be restricted either.  What do I know, right?

I would love so see/have more info about that 'anti-ricochet' round.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Animal,7N22 is that AP or what?
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
According to a guy on the IAA website, the "anti-ricochet" 5.45 round is called the "PRS" and it is steel jacketed/lead cored and made by Barnaul. There are apparently no special markings for this round. No other information is available apparently.

Devil Dog
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey Animal,7N22 is that AP or what?

Indeed, it is 5.45 AP.  I think it is a fairly recent developement.

Copy and paste the following addy into your address bar and it will take you to an article about the 7n22 and the 'enhanced penetration' bullets.
http://club.guns.ru/eng/barnaul.html

The 7n22 is apparently marked with a black tip. Looks like it could be easily confused with tracer(dark green tip) if not closely inspected.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know all the specifics of AP Ammo legality, but I think that .22 cal and smaller Ammo is not restricted.  This is why 5.56 M855 and 5.45 steel core can be imported and sold.  AP is OK in anything larger than .22 cal if it is not a hand gun round.  Unfoutunatly, handguns have been made in every caliber accept 50BMG.  I am not sure where 7.62x54 fits in, but I know of no 7.62x54 AP.  Any steel core in this caliber that is avalable for purchase is non-AP, soft steel.  Does anyone know how hard the steel is in the current 5.45 surplus?  Also, feel free to correct me on AP ammo legality.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top