Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:05:43 PM EDT
Anybody have any experiences with subsonic 762 x39 loads? I found SRT arms' website and the EBR 220grain Jackhammer loads. Are there any other available subsonic loads for sale out there?

I thought about handloading some heavier 303 Brit bullets and working up loads, but I'm unsure which powder I would start with.

Any powder monkeys out there?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
For a subsonic load that will cycle an AK you need a bullet of 180-190gr and midrange rifle powder, I've used Vihtavuori N130 with good results. Accurate 1680, WW 680 and Hodgdon H4198 should be about similar for example.
With VV N130 the load is about 13 grains, that should give you a ballpark figure to get started.
Overall length such that the round will just fit in an AK mag...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
What diameter bullets are you using? .310"? .311"?

My 762x39 brass have large primer pockets. You use standard large rifle primers (not magnum)?

Thanks for your help Finn.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What diameter bullets are you using? .310"? .311"?
You use standard large rifle primers (not magnum)?

.303 British bullets, .311"
Standard large primers, CCI mostly.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top