Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:38:42 AM EDT
I wanted to know if I can get some input on it.  I don't know enough about 7.62 ammo, so I was curious if this stuff is any good, or if there's something I should know about it.  I know AK's shoot just about anything, but I just want to make sure I'm not gonna mess anything up.  Any input would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
All the Norinco stuff is non-corrosive.
The yellow box has a steel core bullet, the rest has the normal lead makeup IIRC.
The Yugo stuff is probably corrosive.
All good ammo - shoot it up, except maybe the steel core.
Might want to save that for SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
What's funny is that he gave me 6 boxes of the steel core 1 each of the green and silver box, and then 3 boxes of the yugo.  So I guess I should still go buy some Wolf ammo.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd hang on to that steel core, as someone earlier said. As I understand it, it can no longer be made, imported or even privately sold in the US. Can someone confirm that for me??
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]
i wish i got some of those chinese ammo that you have.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i wish i got some of those chinese ammo that you have.

Seriously?  I didn't know this stuff was that sought after.  Good to know.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The yellow box has a steel core bullet, the rest has the normal lead makeup IIRC.

The Yugo box says NON-CORROSIVE on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
That steel core stuff will....uh.....screw up your barrel ...or something.  Better send it to me for proper disposal.

Seriously, hang on to the steel core stuff - it is good ammo.  I wish I still had some.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#10]
What does the old steel core stuff cost (if you can find it for sale)?  

I understand people believe it is AP but is that really so?  Didn't Clinton ban it's importation by claiming as steel core, it was AP but really wasn't?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Chinese Steel Core ammo is still around, an FFL dealer is not allowed to sell any, a private citizen may, it was banned aftera pistol in 7.62x39 cal was made. It penetrates about 15-25% better than normal 7.62x39 rds do. "IF" penetration and good accuracy is what you need, you lucked out. I am sitting on 10,000 rds cause I had an FFL in 92-95 and got stuck with it. I am not selling any, just keeping it around for whatever and future generations. So I see it go for about 35 cents a round. Keep it or shoot it, unless your targets are mild steel protected, you would not see that much of a difference on your target between S/C and L/C. Keep it for emergencies.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Yugo box says NON-CORROSIVE on it.

You can't rely on the box. I bought a buttload of the old S&B in the green boxes. Boxes said non-corrosive, so I let it sit, and didn't diligently clean the gun for a few days. BIG mistake...massive rust in the gas-tube.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What's funny is that he gave me 6 boxes of the steel core 1 each of the green and silver box, and then 3 boxes of the yugo.  So I guess I should still go buy some Wolf ammo.  

Better buy something quick, CsabaH!!!

You practically OUT!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You can't rely on the box. I bought a buttload of the old S&B in the green boxes. Boxes said non-corrosive, so I let it sit, and didn't diligently clean the gun for a few days. BIG mistake...massive rust in the gas-tube.

Are you talking about the S&B ammo in the light green boxes with black lettering? If so, I have some (2K+) from about 1997 that I have confirmed as being non-corrosive. I wonder if they used both N/C & Corr. primers in different lots?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Are the rounds lying on top of the individual boxes from the box they are on? If so i've never seen brass cased Norinco.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top