Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:16:50 PM EDT
what is the best stuff you guys have had exerinces with?
and where do you get a good deal on it  (lets exclude wolf from this topic)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The best is Lapua "Mega" Point, which is a soft point. No longer manufactured according to correspondance I have had directly from Lapua.

The next best (for self defense) seems to be Winchester soft point which is readily available.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Georgia Arms loads a 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. It is there product #G76239A. For hunting or where an expanding bullet is desired, would do quite nicely. I love Ballistic tips in all calibers, .223, .308, 7.62x39, .30-06, the list goes on. Good company, good products. Can order via internet or at most gun shows in the Southeast.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Georgia Arms loads a 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. It is there product #G76239A. For hunting or where an expanding bullet is desired, would do quite nicely. I love Ballistic tips in all calibers, .223, .308, 7.62x39, .30-06, the list goes on. Good company, good products. Can order via internet or at most gun shows in the Southeast.

A while back I asked Dr Roberts if he would be interested in testing this lad.  He was and did.  It failed miserably.  It wouldnt expand because that Nosler 125gr bullet is for .308win, and 7.62x39 can reach .308 velocities to cause the bullet to do groovy things.  Also, the tag on the box says 2,400 fps, but not one round breeched that mark and there was a huge flux in the high/low area.

Ulyanovsk is the 3rd best round.  Its also the cheapest, when you can find it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
II keep hearing about the good qualities of Uly HP, although I have yet to see anyone post any hard data on its frag., expansion, and penetration in ballistic gel.  Is this Uly HP really that good? How do we know?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Dr Roberts did some ballistic gel testing on it, the same time he did the test on the GA round.  Its very good, and very cheap(when you can find it of course)  AFAIC, its THE compromise round.  You get very acceptable performance, and its easily affordable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Fail Safe - Thanks for the heads up on the Ga. Arms, I used their ammo for years but I have never done any kind of expansion test obviously w/7.62 x 39. I have a few of the ballistic tips but they are expensive and I only fired a few rounds for function. With a lower velocity than a .308 or .30-06 it would certainly be possible to not expand. I have heard of other soft point factory loads that would not expand in this caliber, Duncan Long wrote about it it in one of his books I remember.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you FailSafe...if you can point me toward the data from the tests of Dr. Roberts, I will greatly appreciate it.  Right now, I am looking at this Uly HP as the XM193 of 7.62x39. Affordable, and effectively gets the job done. Since I started learning about it and began looking for the stuff, I happened to find a couple hundred rounds in a pawn shop. Wish I had a case or two, but glad I was able to find even that much given the apparent short supply of Russian ammo right now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont have the exact link to the thread, but go to Tactical Forums, enter the Terminal Effects Forum, and conduct a search for Uly or 8M3.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks fail-safe

I didn't find thorough test data there, however I did find this from the Doc, 4/30/05

"I think I would stick with Win. 123 gr JSP, Sapsan/Uly 124gr JHP, or Lapua 125gr JSP"

and as reported in the same forum for Sapsan 124 gr JHP from 16-inch AKMS
vel. = 2297 f/s; pen = 15.0"; RD = 0.63; RW = 100.5 gr
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
What about Cor Bon?
That stuff worth it?
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top