Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/23/2006 5:19:35 PM EDT
How do you guys store your ammo?  Closet, foot locker, safe?  I have ammo cans all over the bedroom floor and my wife is tired of tripping on ammo cans.  What's a good method for securing all these cans?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
put em in a closet...

just make sure that it's YOUR closet you store them in...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
what kind of safe is that/? I'm in the process of looking for another safe and have seen a few in my price range.  My current safe is in "our" closet which means it's full of her shoes and clothes and I can barely reach the safe.

Quoted:
put em in a closet...

i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/davis9588/closetstorage006.jpg

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
put em in a closet...

Holy shit it almost looks like my closet , except I have 12 cans,  I think we even have the same safe !!!

who made that safe ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what kind of safe is that/? I'm in the process of looking for another safe and have seen a few in my price range.  My current safe is in "our" closet which means it's full of her shoes and clothes and I can barely reach the safe.

Quoted:
put em in a closet...

If he has the same one that I have , I got it at walmart they don't sell them all the time it's a seasonal item ... The best  $300. 00 I spent !!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
put em in a closet...

Thats a simple and reliable setup you got there!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
It's the Sentry Safe from Wally-World.  Paid $267.00 out the door.  Works great, only holds 7 long guns without cramming though.  Have my pistols hanging on the door.  Got the pegs at local safe/locksmith company, they screw right into the sheetmetal behind the carpet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The local Lowes might have the safe as well. It'll only be in stock at the larger stores though!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Stacked ammo cans are the best + a dessicant pack. The truth be told you can stack case after case in a home (inside) closet in the original packaging. As long as your stash is kept from heat and humidity it will last far longer than you do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#9]
You know, if you can get your wife to move out, you could store cans in her side of the closet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine did, after Katrina...  So, I have a LOT of room to expand the stash.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's the Sentry Safe from Wally-World.  Paid $267.00 out the door.  Works great, only holds 7 long guns without cramming though.  Have my pistols hanging on the door.  Got the pegs at local safe/locksmith company, they screw right into the sheetmetal behind the carpet.

Hey man can you please take a picture of the inside of your door .

Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]
would if I still had the Digi-cam.  It is on it's way to Disney as we speak...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
would if I still had the Digi-cam.  It is on it's way to Disney as we speak...

Thanks anyway !!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I was going to get a wally world safe but, decided a new 1911 was more important.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Need more! after looking at stashes around here!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate to say this, but you guys need some more ammo
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I hate to say this, but you guys need some more ammo

+1 to that.

I know for SURE that I do.  I have nearly doubled my ammo cache in the past 12 months and hope to double it again in the next 12 months.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#19]
How much does that safe weigh? can it be put on the second floor of a house, or should it stay on the first floor /slab? Im looking for a safe, but im a bit concerned about the weight issue.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]
You guys have some great avatars!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't any of you guys have a basement?

I keep all my ammo in ammo cans or if it's in a sardine can I just leave it in that. They all sit on heavy duty shelves in the basment. I actually have rooms under the concrete floored garage, and all the walls are cinder block. The temp is very consistent; I'd say around 55-60 deggrees year round. And I keep a duhumidifer going in the basement year round also.

I think I have 3 SAW cans; 4-5 .50 cal cans; 2 .30 cal cans; and 1 of those enormous 20mm or 30mm cans that have dual latched covers- no hinges. I don't have much ammo, but I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#22]
NO, I wish I did.  I need to find some kind of ammo cabinet.  I thought about like a metal locker or something.  I've probably got about 10 cans of ammo.  I would like something to lock them in and out of sight.  

Quoted:
Don't any of you guys have a basement?

I keep all my ammo in ammo cans or if it's in a sardine can I just leave it in that. They all sit on heavy duty shelves in the basment. I actually have rooms under the concrete floored garage, and all the walls are cinder block. The temp is very consistent; I'd say around 55-60 deggrees year round. And I keep a duhumidifer going in the basement year round also.

I think I have 3 SAW cans; 4-5 .50 cal cans; 2 .30 cal cans; and 1 of those enormous 20mm or 30mm cans that have dual latched covers- no hinges. I don't have much ammo, but I'm working on it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to have a sentry safe similar to what those look like.

Mine cost right around 300 bucks with tax and shipping weight, with skid and stuff attached, was around 200lbs I think.

It is light enough to go on the 2nd floor and I moved it around myself, up and down a few steps and what not.

As for storage of ammo, I buy ammo by the case whenever possable.  Generally it comes in a nice heavy duty cardboard box, thinking wolf ammo on that one, or I am buying surplus and it comes in nice metal ammo cans these days since I am buying the 308 at aim with 980 rounds per ammo can.  I actually repack those back to their 1260 capacity so I get empty ammo cans for keeping loaded mags or other stuff in.

Right now I have some in a garage and some in my apartment.  Neither will see huge temperature fluctuations but the stuff in the garage will be getting moved this fall I reckon.

Overall ammo handles serious temps pretty well if you research what military ammo might have seen temp. wise.  Then again that might be part of why it got surplussed.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top