Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 4:31:03 PM EDT
...and what would cause this??

you can see the open space around the primer.

Faulty round is in the middle

I bought this ammo in a 200 round battle pack last year from AIM. It came in 20 round boxes. Not on stripper clips.

Any additional info you can give me about this ammo would be appreciated. Not sure how good or bad it is or evern what the make is...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Port?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The primer is seated too deep, because the primer pocket is too large.

This is a machining defect, I am 99% sure it is caused by an oversize pocket but it also might be that the primer was seated with too much force.

If you had fired it, worst case scenerio you get gas bleeding around the primer which results in a deep circular impression on your bolt face and little pieces of primer in your gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The primer is seated too deep, because the primer pocket is too large.

This is a machining defect, I am 99% sure it is caused by an oversize pocket but it also might be that the primer was seated with too much force.

If you had fired it, worst case scenerio you get gas bleeding around the primer which results in a deep circular impression on your bolt face and little pieces of primer in your gun.

Cool, I'd have hated to ruin my SKS shooting a bad round... or even worse, lose part of my face!

That's why I asked.

Sorry the pics kinda suck, my camera can't be upgraded because my firearms are cutting into all excess funds!

It looks like the pocket is too big.

The primers on this ammo seem to have 3 stakings around the primer. Why is that? Any idea why these stake looking marks would be around the primers? Never seen that before.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The primers on this ammo seem to have 3 stakings around the primer. Why is that? Any idea why these stake looking marks would be around the primers? Never seen that before.

Military cartridges commonly have a primer which has been staked, stabbed or otherwise crimped into the primer pocket.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Military cartridges commonly have a primer which has been staked, stabbed or otherwise crimped into the primer pocket.

Seems kind of dangerous to be doing that right next to the primer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

stake it before filling with powder and seating a projectile
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You do it first.  Kinda sucks to fill the cartridge with powder before putting a primer in -- your powder falls out.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do it first.  Kinda sucks to fill the cartridge with powder before putting a primer in -- your powder falls out.  

Well, I meant just hitting the primer, even without powder or a projectile... Seems like that could be dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, I meant just hitting the primer, even without powder or a projectile... Seems like that could be dangerous.

When the primer is crimped in they don't hit the primer, they hit the brass around the primer.  the brass then flows (or upsets) around the primer to keep it in the pocket during full auto fire.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting. Thanks for the lessons guys!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top