Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/15/2006 5:14:45 AM EDT
I know it's kind of a contradiction, but what gives best accuracy out of your AK's? Being primarily an AR shooter, I'm always looking for accuracy - even out of my WASR 10. So, Silver Bear, Barnaul or Wolf ???
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
By "accuracy" in an AK, you are talking about maybe a 4-5" group changing to a 3-4" group if you are lucky.  Personally, I can hit 2" targets consistantly with my WASR-10 using Wolf ammo at a hundred yards, but I have a big ugly scope on mine.  Any ammo American made will be better than the russians usually.  I suggest buy what is cheapest, and use the extra rounds you buy over the more expensive ammo to simply lay down more fire on that damn target.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Our 123g V-Max and 125g SP are very accurate compared to the Wolf and other surplus junk. The cost is not cheap, but niether is the quality.

www.reedsammo.com
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
How about reloading?

I just bought some reloading equpiment but not a 7.62 die, yet.

Anyone have experiance in reloading for plinking and in loading for deer hunting with an SKS?

Powder, type and amount.

Bullets, type and manufacture.

Thank You

ETA: sorry not an AK question , but that is my next buy and using it for plinking fun (bump firing also) would be it's main use.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about reloading?

I just bought some reloading equpiment but not a 7.62 die, yet.

Anyone have experiance in reloading for plinking and in loading for deer hunting with an SKS?

Powder, type and amount.

Bullets, type and manufacture.

Thank You

ETA: sorry not an AK question , but that is my next buy and using it for plinking fun (bump firing also) would be it's main use.

this past deer season, i took a shot at reloading the 7.62x39 round and got fair results (two deer) out of a cz527. consistent 2" groups@ 100.  i received the rifle just before the season opened and did not really have time to develop a good load.  this is an 18" bbl bolt gun and it is scoped w/ a weaver 1-3x scope.  

for what it is, the round has potential within a reasonable distance of 100 to150 yards.

from hodgdon's 2002 annual manual:

h4895 28 gr
hornady # 3140 7.62 cal (.310) 123 gr sp
win brass

i chose the h4895 as i had a bunch on hand for 7.62/.308.

good luck!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top