Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:26:06 AM EDT
When reasearching the AK I found that there seemed to be far more exotic 7.62 ammunition than 5.45 ammunition.  The Armor Piercing Incendiary "BZ" round, various different soft points, and hollowpoints are just some of the things I found.

Obviously, this is because the 7.62 round is far more prolific.  That said, it seems like the only 5.45 out there is the standard FMJ and hollowpoints.  At least that's all wolf markets.

Do the Russians have special 5.45 they issue, that isn't sold to civillians?  I've heard the round's terminal performance is questionable compared to quality 5.56, yet the round clearly has potential if the Russians have stuck with it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
They do have a round similar to our M855 steel penetrator. I can't remember any specifics. 5.45mm ammunition and guns aren't sold to the public in Russia. We have better access to 5.45mm weaponry than Russian citizens. Funny, eh? A few years ago a dealer worked on importing some of it, but the deal never went through.

Galland
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top