Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:51:45 AM EDT
Just curious, anybody ever try to use .30 cal sabots in 7.62 X 39 rounds so that they can launch .22 cal bullets?  If it were possible, the relative unavailability of 5.45 wouldn't be so bad.  It would make the AK a more versatile platform too.  I would think the big problem would be U.S produced sabots would have a .308 diameter while the AK's diameter is .311.  Any thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Back in the early 1990's I bought a bunch of Remington Accelertor sabots with bullets in them. They were supposed to be destroyed as about 1/4 of them had defective sabots but a scrap yard employee sold them under the table. I loaded several hundred of them in 30-30,30 carbine, and 7.62x39mm. Accuracy was not good at all in the 7.62x39mm. As there was no sabot reloading data available so using the data for the lightest bullet in each cartridge I could find resulted in velosity increasing only a couple hundred feet. In SKS/AK rifles they wouldn't cycle so I gave up on the project.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If anyone attempts this, remember, DO NOT use SS109 or any steel core, aluminum core or plastic core projectiles! This will classify as production of Armor Piercing ammo, which is illegal since the 7.62x39mm was classified as a pistol round in 1994.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#5]
You are right and wrong. The use of an AP projectile would in fact be in violation, however the SS109 is by no means an AP bullet. I know there are a bunch of folks that refer to them as AP but they are not now nor have they ever been.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The SS109 is not legally AP while in the 5.56x45mm, because the 5.56mm is not a pistol round.

The SS109 DOES, however, have a steel core. Thus, if you load it in 7.62x39mm, it is AP.

I know this is stupid, but the ATF says so. If the core isn't lead or a "legal lead substitute" then its AP... or if the bullet jacket makes up more than 3/4 the bullet... something like that. It is really stupid, but I can look it up for you if you want to read it from Big Brother himself.

EDIT: OK, any jacket that makes up more than 25% of the bullet, not 3/4. Also, SS109 was taken off the AP list, but it still has a steel core, which means loading it in 7.62x39mm would make it illegal. The .30-06 black tip AP ammo has a steel core, is not considered AP, but would still be illegal for you to stick that steel core bullet in the 7.62x39mm.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top