Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:35:57 PM EDT
I recently purchased a few rounds of this 54r ammunition and it came in the ammo can shown in the picture. I don't know for sure if this is the original can or just something the seller shipped the ammo inside of, but if anyone can help identify what kind of 54r this is I would appreciate it.

The ammunition itself appears to be marked 188 and either a 45 or a 95 which I assume is the date stamp. I can't be 100% sure because it's not a clean mark (and I am leaning toward 45 myself), but the 188 definately seems to indicate factory 188.

This was sold to me as sniper ammunition with steel core, which I think is unlikely because of the packaging it came in, but nonetheless I would still like to know what it really is. I am assuming light ball ammo.

Z
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
deffinatly hebrew on the can, and some sort of cyrillic language on the box.  Not the origonal packaging probably, but i couldnt tell you for sure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That is Russian made ammo, that was captured by Yugoslavia and repackaged for sale (the Yugoslavians kept with the 8mm). The Yugoslavians took the ammo, pulled the bullets and took out the powder, polished the cases, replaced the primers, then reloaded the ammo. This is why you see all different kinds of headstamps in one box, and also why the primers look so new. The bullets are lead core, steel jacketed and then copperwashed. It is light ball, 147gr. This Russian captured ammunition is reffered to as the M-908 (C) load.

Im sorry to dissapoint you, but you should also know that this ammunition has a reputation of bad accuracy. I have a box myself, but haven't shot it... but the reports aren't good.

It is also interesting to note that the Yugoslavians personally made a brass cased 182gr. load for sale to other countries- this is the M-30 (J) load.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple of boxes of that ammo. Measure the roundness of each bullet, some of them are so egg shaped they go from .306" to .310" on the same bullet.

No wonder they have such a reputation for poor accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is some ballistics data for what appears to be what you have.

7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo003.htm

I believe that is more than likely a "45" as a headstamp.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you gentlemen very much, I appreciate the information.

Z
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top