Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 8:19:47 PM EDT
I noticed the new Wolf 7.62 x 39 FMJ that I just got from Ammoman.com does not have the red sealant around the area where the bullet and case meet.  The older Wolf FMJ had red dealant there although the old HP did not.  Can anyone explain this?  Thanks.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The red sealant does not cause failures- using Wolf so-called ".223" in ANY .223 chamber will cause jamming and malfunction. Wolf ".223" has the case neck and shoulder dimentions of the 5.56x45mm NATO- which is larger.

Remember: 5.56x45mm ammo is made in dozens of countries. The chamber needs some room for manufacturing differences. The .223 is the sporting version and has tighter controlls. .223 works in 5.56 chambers, 5.56 will not work right in .223 chambers.

As to the reason it jams in 5.56 ARs sometimes, anyones guess. Just like how some AKs won't feed HP right at all, and others do. Fortunately, my AK does. But YRMV.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have polymer Wolf FMJ with and without the red sealant.  That's what confuses me.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally,I miss the old brown cased 7.62x39,it always worked!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The sealant is on early production ammo, but was not added later due to the extra cost without any benifit. Plus, production is being rushed recently. America is using it twice as much as before because the AWB went away (all the less educated shooters thought all "assault rifles" were banned and just became legal, so there was a buying and shooting spree) plus the situation in Iraq increased stress.

Brown laquer? I have steel core Norinco ammo with that brownish laquer, very smooth, plus its NC.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The sealant is on early production ammo, but was not added later due to the extra cost without any benifit. Plus, production is being rushed recently. America is using it twice as much as before because the AWB went away (all the less educated shooters thought all "assault rifles" were banned and just became legal, so there was a buying and shooting spree) plus the situation in Iraq increased stress.

Brown laquer? I have steel core Norinco ammo with that brownish laquer, very smooth, plus its NC.

I still have some of the brown laquered East German,Chinese and a couple thousand rounds of Russian.I'd like to find some more!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
poly wolf is corrosive and the case rust if you leave it wet for 10 mintues. It left green crap on my flash hider then i checked the barrel and it was left there too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Wolf poly is not corrosive, but the polymer does wear off kinda easy thus the case will rust if you get it wet and dont wipe it off.

JOHNO, man, I would love some Russian ammo. Too bad shipping costs are so high, it would be nice to trade.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
So far I have shot some good PMC sp ammo to site  the gun in. (Romy AKM on a Ewbanks rec. It was great as it was.) I've run hp, sp and fmj Wolf through it and sp and hp Barnaul. ProMags and Romanian steel mags.
No failures of any sort!
You have to love a rifle that isn't picky!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
My Polytech uses Polish polymer, Polish steel, and Chinese mags with no issues. It uses FMJ and HP with no issues. What makes Pro-mags suck? I wanted to try one because they look cool and would be different but the warnings make me leery.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I miss it too, why did they ever have to mess with it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I miss it too, why did they ever have to mess with it?

Thats a good question,it worked well for years!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Wolf rep said that they took it off because people with mini-30 rifles were complaining that it was causing jams.
Goodluck.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wolf rep said that they took it off because people with mini-30 rifles were complaining that it was causing jams.
Goodluck.

The whole 5 or so people who actually own a mini-30? Why???
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Goodluck.

The whole 5 or so people who actually own a mini-30? Why???

Were there 5!Thats three more than I would have figured.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top