Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:08:25 AM EDT
Iv'e had good service from these guys before, but this reminds me of the hurricane Rita gas prices:

$130 a case

I wonder how long it will be before it gets back down to $90
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like B.S. Go to sportsmanguide and backorder it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
$130 is a big price increase, almost 100% more than what it was 2 summers ago.  That being said Classic Arms has a good reputation for being a great company.  When ammo prices come down again, if ever, only solution is to stockpile!  In the meantime I'm not shooting up any of my Wolf bought at cheap prices but am reloading 762x39 instead
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'm lucky I still have a decent amount of 7.62 left in the garage.

Unfortunately, I'm down to about 300 rds of 5.45, so if he had any, I would probably pay that for it, since SG is backordered until April on it.

On the bright side, maybe the dealers at the gun show this weekend will bargain on the Yugo underfolders since the ammo is scarce right now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
My local dealer just got some 7.62 Wolf Hollow Point in stock and is selling it for $122/1000 or 2.69/Box of 20.  I picked some up because it has been so scarce but going back under $100 a case may not happen.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]

$130 is a big price increase, almost 100% more than what it was 2 summers ago.

Remind me again what we were paying for gas two summers ago...

Y-
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Iv'e had good service from these guys before, but this reminds me of the hurricane Rita gas prices:

$130 a case

So what price should they sell it for?

What price do you consider "fair?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
From my understanding, most ammo of most any caliber is being bought up for Iraqi and Afghanistan. Demand is out stripping supply, and production. The US had shut done most of their production during the reign of the greatest President Ever, our beloved …”Bill Clinton”... They just released a contract to a commercial manufacturer to try to help out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Y-

why, is Wolf made out of gasoline?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got an e-mail from Ammoman that 7.62x39 is back in stock, $149.00 per 1000 ! WTF
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
$149.00 per 1000 !

somehow I'm not surprised
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just got an e-mail from Ammoman that 7.62x39 is back in stock, $149.00 per 1000 ! WTF

You have to remember Ammoman includes the shipping charge in his price,its still kinda high though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Only 7.62 around here is 89.99 for the 640 round tuna cans.  Sucks right now.

Blaker
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#14]

No its not... but how I wish gas cost today what it cost 2 years ago...
Pretty naive to think that we all should have the same prices for things we had 2 years ago...

Get my point?

Y
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Y-

no, but they just might use some gas to deliver it from Russia to your house.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is something else to consider.  Inflation has been about 3% the past two years, so you can chalk 6% of the increase from two years ago to inflation.  Also, UPS has raised their rates again due to increased fuel costs.  Americans don't realize how cheap they still have gasoline compared to places like Europe.  I operate a mail order/Ebay business selling WWII militaria, and customers are already getting pissy this year about the new Postal and UPS rates, but there is nothing else I can do about it.  It literally can cost 8 or 9 dollars now for a 1 lb or less package to be shipped via UPS to a residence. Just depends on the zone and whether you are in a rural area or not.  And that is still less than UPS posted rates.  Guys, shipping is going to get more and more expensize, and these costs will directly affect the price of all kinds of goods.  ANd for stuff like Ammo, you have to use UPS.  

Besides, according to the president, the economy is great and growing, so we all should have plenty more money to spend on ammo, right?  Yes I am being sarcastic.  Let the flame war begin on that one.  

Howard
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Weakening dollar + rising energy costs = more expensive ammo.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm glad I got on SG's back order list for 3k rounds in Dec. Looks like their "current" back order dates for ammo are moving up to March!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm glad I got on SG's back order list for 3k rounds in Dec. Looks like their "current" back order dates for ammo are moving up to March!

Yep........Mines backordered until mid March. No big deal, got plenty stockpiled. Couldnt pass up a few 1000 more though

Im still waiting on those used mags that have been backordered since October. They are supposed to be in around March as well. Maybe I'll get lucky and get em all at one time
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
i just got some wolf hollow point 7.62x39 in this week from SG i ordered Dec29. i paid $90 SHIPPED per case

the hp was instock for about 4 days. fmj was still backorderd

ammoman always has the WORST prices whenever i look. even considering shipping.

i just talked to someone at wolf this week and they said they just recieved some ammo but did not sound like it was a huge shipment or anything
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ 200 rd battle pack $26.95  1000 rd case Wolf FMJ  $119.95

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/762x39_ammo.html

I orderd from these guys just thought i'd share the link.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Y-

no, but they just might use some gas to deliver it from Russia to your house.

Russian vodka hasn't doubled in price over the last 2 years, so whatever role gas prices, and to add falling dollar has on Russian ammo prices should affect Russian vodka the same, no ?  It doesn't so something else is behind the almost 100% price increase on ammo
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$130 a case

So what price should they sell it for?

What price do you consider "fair?"

This type of reponse also reminds me of the Rita gouging, when the oil execs used the "supply/demand" rhetoric to justify unreasonable price increases. The yes men, who probably all had a "dog in the hunt", all crawled out of the woodwork bloviating about the OPEC per barrel price, when the majority of our oil doesn't even come from OPEC.

Do you really think that the distributor cost went up that much in a few weeks?

To answer your "question" (sic) I would not see a $10-15 increase as unreasonable considering a shortage of shipments. That is, unless the shortage itself were orchestrated in the manner that China often plays with the computer parts industry...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#25]
It's called supply and demand.  If you don't want to pay the asking price don't buy it.  Since everyone is sold out I'd say there is enough demand to warrent the asking price.  If the price was too high nobody would be buying it and you'd have a supply surplus.  Whether it's a real shortage or not is irrelevant.  If it is a "created" shortage everyone should stop buying ammo till the price goes back down.  That's not gonna happen so it would be foolish for the vendors to lower their prices.  Like I said, don't like it, don't buy ammo.  The smart folks stocked up when it was cheap and don't have to worry about it.......
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#26]
SG called me today. My "tuna can" of ammo (640 rounds) that I ordered back in early Dec. will ship tomorrow.
The three full cases I ordered before Christmas are still scheduled to come in mid Feb.

On a whim, I stopped in a pawn shop on my way to get argon for my welder this morning. All they deal with is guns! Lots of nice C&R stuff too. They had Barnaul HP in stock for $2.99 a box of 20. I picked up ten boxes for the range this week. I'll have to go back there sometime when I have more time. Very nice shop!

At least the stores are getting the less expensive ammo back in stock!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Well said.  If you think the prices are too high, then don't buy it.  If you think that there is a vast global conspiracy to make ak owners pay more for ammo, then open your own ammo business and get rich under-cutting everyone else.  I really love it how my customers tell me that prices are too high on this or that and if I charged less on that I would sell more.  Yet none of them have ever worked a retail business or owned their own business.  Most people have no idea when it comes to small business.  

Howard

Quoted:
It's called supply and demand.  If you don't want to pay the asking price don't buy it.  Since everyone is sold out I'd say there is enough demand to warrent the asking price.  If the price was too high nobody would be buying it and you'd have a supply surplus.  Whether it's a real shortage or not is irrelevant.  If it is a "created" shortage everyone should stop buying ammo till the price goes back down.  That's not gonna happen so it would be foolish for the vendors to lower their prices.  Like I said, don't like it, don't buy ammo.  The smart folks stocked up when it was cheap and don't have to worry about it.......

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Actually I know just what you're saying. I'm a small business owner myself.
You have to pay to play in any hobby or sport.
Actually, the shop owner there quoted me $2.69 a box and when he reached to get it the shelf was empty. He said "Let me see if we have any more in the back.". When he opened the new case and looked at the paperwork, he frowned. Made a phone call. Then he apologized to me and said he'd have to get $2.99 a box for the new case he'd just opened.
I'm sure many guys would have had a hissy fit. (And he looked like he expected it. ) Afterall, "You know know you're a southerner if you're upset about the rising cost of ammunition!".
I just shrugged and said no problem. I'll take ten boxes. It still beats the $8 per box PMC ammo  the range is selling now that their cheap Barnaul ammo is sold out!

Just another good reason to buy in bulk from SG and get on their backorder list in advance of your needs!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey OKC.  Brigadoon Military Surplus RETAILS 7.62x39 Hollow Point for $71.95/500rds and no need for shipping charges and all the other 'mail order' hassles.  Sounds like a good deal while it last.   One of the guys who works there said the boss was talking about limiting sales of  7.62x39mm ammo to only those who were buying rifles in that caliber until the shortage abides, but he hasn't done it yet.  Bought 2k this morning.  Their ph. # is 405-670-2744.   Hope this helps some of my fellow Oklahomans.  Thanks - C.C.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Dear  "TacticalopsAR"
WHAT???
PLEASE tell me HOW you got that order!
I have been on back order with the GUIDE since Thanksgiving!  I have done business with them for over five years and they ALWAYS charge me shipping.   Please tell me how you snagged a case for $90 ordering a month after me, and already have it, while I am being told FEB., MAYBE.  Was this a 1k/case or a 640rd/tin??  (By the way, yes I am a club member.)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Y-

I paid 69.00 plus shipping for a 1000 rounds from SG back then.  It was the lowest anywhere so I up and ordered a second case.....................Sooooo glad I did.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I happen to both be employed in a retail establishment, and self-employed in the computer industry as a consultant. Guess by your own rhetoric that makes me informed enough for comments. My comment regarding the way the Chinese control the computer parts market was in regard to the international availability. Opening my own ammo business would not be entirely productive as the importers/manufacturers are part of the problem. If the manufacturers and the importer are playing price games, then root of the problem could not be resolved by opening an ammo store, although it might help clear up some of the gouging. Granted if I were retired and had plenty of spare time and the required business capital and contacts, I would open a co-op and import the stuff from some eastern-bloc manufacturer just to help keep the prices in line.

I personally think this is only temporary, as the current excessive prices are unsustainable in the long run. If the Russians don't start bringing more in and bring the prices back down, then  some other eastern or third-world nation will fill in the void and begin producing commercial ammo for us.

There used to be a thing in the US called business ethics. That meant that when the going got tough, you treated your loyal customers as they treated you. That means you don't use your importer's cost increases as an excuse to tack on an extra 15 or 20 percent for yourself.

Wm69, I only noticed the ammo price while I was shopping for mausers. I happen to have quite a bit of 7.62 in the garage. Prob enough to last out this entire dry spell, unless I spend every weekend bump-firing all day. Guess that makes ME one of your 'smart folks'.

Quoted:
Well said.  If you think the prices are too high, then don't buy it.  If you think that there is a vast global conspiracy to make ak owners pay more for ammo, then open your own ammo business and get rich under-cutting everyone else.  I really love it how my customers tell me that prices are too high on this or that and if I charged less on that I would sell more.  Yet none of them have ever worked a retail business or owned their own business.  Most people have no idea when it comes to small business.  

Howard

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Farscrape,

I don't what the profit margin is in ammo, but I bet it is not much.  I know that the margin for selling guns is about 10 percent, and my guess is that the margin in ammo is probably similar.  It is one thing if I am sitting on a pile of ammo and double the price because everyone else seems to be.  It is another if my supplier raises prices 10 percent on a shipment due to fuel costs or whatever the reason may be.  Would you continue to sell that ammo at cost to be "ethical"?  Don't get me wrong, these guys trying to sell stuff for twice what is worth are making a mistake, and I absolutely will not give them a dime of my money.  However, with rising a fuel costs, a weak dollar, and inflation, I am not surprised in some moderate increases in prices.  

I sell WWII Militaria for a living, and there is a limited supply of these items as it was a historical event that happened 60 years ago.  The days of expanding your WWII collection at a garage sale or a surplus store are long gone, yet many customers expect those prices, and accuse us of all kind of things because we try to sell something for 70 dollars that we have 50 dollars in.  Yes 30 years ago at a flea market in Germany you might have found that same item for 5 bucks, but it just doesn't happen anymore.  90% of collectors have never operated a small business, yet have all kinds of "great" ideas on telling one how to operate one.  

Howard

Quoted:
I happen to both be employed in a retail establishment, and self-employed in the computer industry as a consultant. Guess by your own rhetoric that makes me informed enough for comments. My comment regarding the way the Chinese control the computer parts market was in regard to the international availability. Opening my own ammo business would not be entirely productive as the importers/manufacturers are part of the problem. If the manufacturers and the importer are playing price games, then root of the problem could not be resolved by opening an ammo store, although it might help clear up some of the gouging. Granted if I were retired and had plenty of spare time and the required business capital and contacts, I would open a co-op and import the stuff from some eastern-bloc manufacturer just to help keep the prices in line.

I personally think this is only temporary, as the current excessive prices are unsustainable in the long run. If the Russians don't start bringing more in and bring the prices back down, then  some other eastern or third-world nation will fill in the void and begin producing commercial ammo for us.

There used to be a thing in the US called business ethics. That meant that when the going got tough, you treated your loyal customers as they treated you. That means you don't use your importer's cost increases as an excuse to tack on an extra 15 or 20 percent for yourself.

Wm69, I only noticed the ammo price while I was shopping for mausers. I happen to have quite a bit of 7.62 in the garage. Prob enough to last out this entire dry spell, unless I spend every weekend bump-firing all day. Guess that makes ME one of your 'smart folks'.

Quoted:

Howard

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Indianapolis Gun Show last night, WOLF $115 a case of 1,000 found easily, by many different suppliers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Yea, it was like 160 or so per 1000 at a local gunshow this weekend.
OUch!!

Quoted:
Indianapolis Gun Show last night, WOLF $115 a case of 1,000 found easily, by many different suppliers.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#36]
At the gun show last weekend here in oregon it was $150/ 1000. I thought about buying some but never. I kind of think I should have bought some. I think us west coast guys are getting screwed
xxxx
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I just paid $4 for a box of 20 wolf HP. $.20 a piece I might as well shoot the AR for that or even a .308.  I'm glad I just wanted a few HP to test my gun out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#38]
just got my 3 cases from sportsman guide to the door for under $300
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#39]
He who has the ammo, sets the price.  

Deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#40]
wolf fmj 112.50 a case sportsmans wharehouse in salem
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Got my four cases in from SG today. Just under $400.
Now I can have fun cheap at the range again!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top