Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 4:44:20 PM EDT
It is my opinion that the Russians have cornered the market with inexpensive 7.62x39 and 5.45 ammo and countries such as Poland, Czech republic, Romania, Bulgaria, Finland and the like should be able to step in and fill the void, (if there is one and it continues).

I remember shooting Sellier and Belloit 7.62 x 39mm as well as Lapua. I think Poland  Hungary, Romania and all these other Warsaw pact countries could flood the market with high quality commercially produced as well as non AP surplus ammo.

When Wolf hit us with $80/1000 round prices no one else could touch them. Now with prices hovering at 150.00/1000 rnds it should be an attractive business venture to pursue. Lets face it. There are probably more 7.62 firearms here than in many other laces in the world

Just my $0.02

what are your opinions?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
it's a shame we can't make it here dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
S&B brass 7.62x39mm is everywhere, but it is around $5 for 20 rounds.  Not worth it. I have bought a total of 60 rounds of expensive 7.62x39mm. A Winchester 40rnd. box and a Remington 20 round box. I will see if they do well in my AK accuracy wise. But its Wolf the rest of the way. I have a good amount left, but this talk of less and less ammo makes me want to start mass ordering. I'll keep an eye out at gun shows I guess.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
it's a shame we can't make it here dirt cheap.

God damn labor laws!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
No clue why China doesnt have its foot in the ammo scene.  They have the ability to produce billions of rounds a month, and take yet another market by storm.  They could easily compete with the prices of Wolf.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No clue why China doesnt have its foot in the ammo scene.  They have the ability to produce billions of rounds a month, and take yet another market by storm.  They could easily compete with the prices of Wolf.

Let me clue you in. Chinese Ammo and most guns have been banned from import for the last 12 years.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me clue you in. Chinese Ammo and most guns have been banned from import for the last 12 years.

Hootbro

So how about this.  China sells to country A(a friend of ours). A year later country A declares it is surplus and sells on the US market.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Chinees can't export amm to US because they have "steel core" bullets, not because they are banned from importing. If china started to manufacture ammo without steel core, i am sure US would buy some. But remember China is a communist county and is not likly to sell good commercial ammo anywhere. They are more likely stack up on AK ammo them selfs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Chinees can't export amm to US because they have "steel core" bullets, not because they are banned from importing. If china started to manufacture ammo without steel core, i am sure US would buy some. But remember China is a communist county and is not likly to sell good commercial ammo anywhere. They are more likely stack up on AK ammo them selfs.

China exported millions of non steel core rounds here to the US.

There is a trade agreement with China that does not allow exportation of military arms or any ammunition to the US.  This happened back in 1994.

prolly something to do with MFN trade status.  

the timing (1994) would be about right for something like that to be on the table as part of the agreement.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
If I recall correctly, China was hammered again by banning the importation of ammo and such because it was found to have been selling weapons to Iraq. I believe the original ban was about to have been lifted at or right about that time. Norinco was one of the main offenders.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So how about this.  China sells to country A(a friend of ours). A year later country A declares it is surplus and sells on the US market.

IIRC the ammo (or even guns) have to have resided in #2 country for a certain number <5 ???> of years before becoming untainted.  One year won't do it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC the ammo (or even guns) have to have resided in #2 country for a certain number <5 ???> of years before becoming untainted.  One year won't do it.

Some place where warehousing is cheap?

P.S. BTW, fxntime, thanks for the explanation on the other issue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#16]
It is weird that China has such a ban. As far as I know Russia has been selling all kinds of stuff to Iraq, Seria, and other middle east countries, and is not under the ban....
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It is weird that China has such a ban. As far as I know Russia has been selling all kinds of stuff to Iraq, Seria, and other middle east countries, and is not under the ban....

France, Germany, etc......

That was why I initially thought it might have been a "bribe" for MFN, back in the day.

"We give you uber hi-tech radar, and you don't flood our country with cheap ammo."
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top