Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2006 5:39:03 PM EDT
Okay after wondering where all the surplus ammo was. I contacted a supplier of ammo overseas to see if they could tell me what was going on. They listed there Yugo ammo but they had this to say about it. "We cannot ship to the USA, but we will ship anywhere else in the world." This quote from them. THERE WEBSITE

"When it is possible, it is so regulated that it is not worth the
trouble. It is mostly forbidden though."

www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr47.pdf

Have I missed something? Is this ammo now on the no import list? I really hope they don't know what there talking about anyone else have any info?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
"an Internet based sole proprietorship" = shady at best
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It does sound kinda shady,but I'm glad I've been saving my ammo lately.I try to buy 100 to replace every 10 I shoot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the same Yugo ammo I bought this past summer.  It is supposedly one of the better suplus ammo out there because the Yugoslavians loaded these a little hotter....supposedly.

I havent shot it yet....

1960's production, ready to open rip corded tin.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
ammo control Inc at work ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont forget to break out the Windex for that ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Could be BS- and probably is. The Yugoslavian ammo IS messier on people though, the bullets are flat based and not boat-tailed. This means they are less stable in flight and upon impact. For the ballistic impaired, this means two things:

1. The bullet is less stable and less accurate at long ranges.

2. The bullet enters its yaw cycle (yaw= the bullet spinning sideways and causing mucho damage) after just 3-4 inches of flesh (assuming it doesn't hit bone). For comparison, Wolf would take 10 inches to enter its yaw cycle (which would be after it has passed through most, if not all of the target).

The US banned the hollow tip FMJ Russian 5.45mm ammo, the stuff that yaws almost upon impact, so they may have banned Yugoslavian due to similar ballistics. However, flat based projectiles are everywhere, jeebus I've got old 7.62x54R that is flat based and some modern production ammo is too. The Yugo ammo is nowhere near as drastic as the Russian 5.45mm, but the Yugo ammo will mess a person up worse than Wolf, Winchester, Barnaul, Federal, Remington, etc. This was discussed in a Shotgun News article a few weeks ago. Interesting ballistic concept, hopefully the Feds weren't reading the article too.

OK, found it. For those interested, the article is in the December 1st edition of Shotgun News, page 14, 4th paragraph down. The article is by Peter G. Kokalis.

SUMMARY- could the Feds find a reason to ban Yugo ammo? Sure. Do I think they did? No. It was cheap and Yugoslavia (now broken up into several smaller countries) is poor. Green laquer coated Czech ammo was everywhere, now its nowhere. It wasn't banned, it was just shot up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Alot of us "Old Timers"who are'nt afraid of corrosive ammo,bought as much of the Yugo as we could.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the Yugo stuff is steel core this is probably why it doesn't get imported same story on the cheap Czech BXN surplus found in canada.

Considered AP and after the AK-47 pistols came out you can figure out the rest, full story here:

http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The Czech I am talking about is the 7.62x54R. It is still imported, but its newer production (80's surplus), copperwashed and not laquer.

The Yugo isn't steel core or steel jacket, lead and copper only. My friend has a box of Yugo 7.62x39mm and a box of Wolf 7.62x39mm. The Wolf (steel jacketed, not steel core) attracted a magnet. His NORINCO AP 7.62x39mm ammo (steel core, I gave him 5 rounds) attracted a magnet. His Yugo 7.62x39mm did NOT.

So the Yugo is not steel cored or steel jacketed. I still believe that it just ran out. Either way, if it was banned, it isn't for steel in the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It does sound kinda shady,but I'm glad I've been saving my ammo lately.I try to buy 100 to replace every 10 I shoot.

i know someone that does that!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Not a bad idea.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#12]
If you notice Yugo ammo box has "M67" on it. This denotes the the bullet is the M-67 bullet which has a copper jacket with a lead core. Yugoslavia has the largest deposits of  lead in Europe and large copper deposits also. So this is the reason they developed and produced the M-67 bullet instead of mfg. the M-43 bullet with it's copper plated steel bullet jacket and steel core.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top