Corrosive
Cal. 7.62x39 HP l. C. B.
123 GR. Ball
Made to Hunting
Specifications
Keep Out Of Reach
Of Children

On the side:  Made In Russia

The bullet actually a JHP, not FMJ.  I originally thought it was Sapsan (UMP) because I have 700rds of Sapsan that came in pretty much the same box.  The case head says 7.62x39, 97, and then it has some goofy ass logo.  The logo is kind of a square, with a teardrop in the middle, and in the middle of the teardrop is a circle.

Anyone got any extra info on this stuff?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's ULY ammo based on the description of the symbol on the cartridge.  It is as accurate as Barnaul and burns cleaner then wolf.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The hell with it.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The logo you are descibing is from the Klimovsk plant, not Uly.  Klimovsk is no longer making ammo and the last was imported in 2002.

7.62X39mm Foreign Ammo Info

I think they were still using corrosive primers on the Klimovsk ammo, the Uly is non-corrosive.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Is all Klimovsk ammunition corrosive, including the stuff packed in boxes marked "non-corrosive"?

I notice that they inked-over the "NON-" on that box.  I have some boxes that look similar, but they aren't marked "Century", and some of the descriptive text is slightly different.  Other than that, the box looks the same.

They are headstamped 3 (top) 97 (bottom).

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I see one other difference, maybe mine isn't Klimovsk?

His box has "GIS" (roman transliteration of cyrillic) in a diamond.  Mine has "KIS" (roman transliteratiion again) in a bullet-shaped line-drawing.  (Maybe the "K" does stand for Klimovsk after all?  but then what's his "G" stand for?)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think the diamond matters in regards to the manufacturer.   The square-tear-circle means Klimovsk.  Check out the 7.62X39mm Foreign Ammo Info link in my earlier post if you haven't already.

7.62X39mm Foreign Ammo Info
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#7]
According to that reference, they are of Ulyanovsk manufacture ("3 = Ulyanovsk").

They have brass-colored primers, so I think they are probably noncorrosive (the information on that page says that "gunmetal grey" primers are corrosive, and "gold color" primers are noncorrosive, for "current imported Russian ammo."

Assuming this is also the situation for 1997 production then they would be noncorrosive, correct?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
According to that reference, they are of Ulyanovsk manufacture ("3 = Ulyanovsk").

They have brass-colored primers, so I think they are probably noncorrosive (the information on that page says that "gunmetal grey" primers are corrosive, and "gold color" primers are noncorrosive, for "current imported Russian ammo."

Assuming this is also the situation for 1997 production then they would be noncorrosive, correct?

Is there a symbol headstamp like as on the box, or just the number?  I've never seen Uly packaged as the the ammo in this thread; all the Uly I've seen has been the blue and white, green and white, or Spasan stuff- always with a manufacturer or brand name.  If this stuff is Uly, it has to be more than 6 years old, which is a possibility as all the Uly I've seen in the past 5 years has the symbol headstamp and not the number...  It's very interresting as that teardrop thing is definitely Klimovsk.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:44:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The red arrow points to the Klimovsk symbol on the box.

The other symbols are quality assurance symbols that are also on other brands of Russian ammo.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is some other ammo I found.  Note that it is in almost the same box.

On the case heads of the ammo in the second picture it has a 3 and then a 97.  Anyone got an idea of this stuff?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
3=Ulyanovsk Plant
97=Year of Production

Typical Russian FMJ 7.62x39mm

And its like .16 cents a round too...
So, that would make it...$160 for a case?!?!?!?!?

Ouch.

Y-
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
So is this ammo corrosive or not?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The stuff I bought last week at MGS is, but the stuff I had prior isnt.

Gimme a call, and I'll clarify a bit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Fail-safe, if you're near MGS, then you probably aren't too far from the Dallas location of Academy Sports. I was in there Monday, and they had plenty of Barnaul (Monarch) 7.62x39 in 20rd boxes for $2.88, or about 17.28 for 120rds. Better get it while you can!

-edited because I suck at math!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I actually went in to MGS to see if they had any 6.5x55SE, and saw them putting this stuff out.  Wasnt sure what it was, so I figure safe than sorry.

I may pick up some of that Barnaul, though.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top