Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:37:58 AM EDT
Well, the 1000s of 5.45 I bought a few years ago have been shot.  Now I need to both find and buy some.  I see they have a new polymer coating.  I guess that is to replace the old lauqer coating.  Any issues with this stuff?  Good, bad. indifferent?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It all goes bang.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
It runs through my guns fine...
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
All the stuff I have shot worked fine.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Never shot poly-coated 5.45, but all my AKs shoot poly-coated 7.62x39 w/out any problem. Always BANG and always case shot out the rifle at the usual 900fps AK standard
I actually think, that you can loctite-coat AK ammos, and still the powerful extraction would shoot them out. Never had an FTE in my AKs

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the issue with lacquer was that it fouls the barrel badly compared to poly coated ammo? At least that what I was told at the range yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought the issue with lacquer was that it fouls the barrel badly compared to poly coated ammo? At least that what I was told at the range yesterday.

God, this laquer debate gets hashed like a rerun of Oprah. On 5.45 and 7.62x39 rifles, it was designed to work with the lacquer type coated ammo. The main problem is "some" .223/5.56 rifles have the problem. If you have a 5.45/7.62x39 rifle that has a problem with lacquer ammo, then it is a problem with the rifle and not the ammo.

hootbro
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The problem with the lacquer coating was not the lacquer coating but the excessive amount of bullet and primer sealer applied to the Wolf 5.56x45mm ammo. The arrows point to where the bullet sealer has run down onto the necks of the cartridge case and the primer sealer onto the case body.

When the chamber of a non chrome lined mil spec barrel got hot the sealer would melt becoming sticky which required way more exstraction force than the AR-15 was designed to produce to eject the cases from the chamber. So people with Olympic Arms or match chamber barrels had problems. After many complaints Wolf stopped putting bullet and primer sealer on the 5.56x45mm
ammo but the damage was done by false info posted on the internet that the lacquer coating was the problem. So Wolf had no choice but to use a polymer in place of the lacquer on the cases that was a different color so the ill informed public could see a difference in the ammo.
The amount of sealer on the cases makes no difference when fired in a AK rifle as all have mil spec chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot 240 rounds of the Wolf poly coated 5.45 today without the first problem.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
UMMM...That is not bullet or primer sealant, just a few runs in the laquer where it's been applied a little too thick.h.gif

MBR
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no problems.  In fact, after some South African surplus 5.56 jammed up and coked in the chamber, leaving black, tarry streaks, I switched to a magazine of Wolf with no cleaning and had no problems.

Good stuff, cheap, goes bang.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
had a problem with a case of wolf 5.45 welding itself to the chamber... i think the cases were not made to spec.
sent back 700+ rds to wolf. still have not heard back from wolf at all
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I have fired lots of 7.62 and 5.45 from several manufactures with no problem.  I always look for ammo that has both primer and bullet sealed.  I shoot in the rain so the sealer is important to me.  Barnaul seems to be the best ammo and it has lots of sealer.  Never a FTF or FTE with lacquer coated and sealed ammo.  There are reports of problems with Russian ammo in AR15's.  AR chambers are smaller than those in AK's so that may be the problem.  I don't use Russian in my AR's which may be the best plan.
Good Shooting,
Sparky1  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not know why they switched. I HEARD that the laquer becomes sticky in heated chambers and can cause extraction problems. I have shot tons of 7.62x39mm with laquer and polymer casing, no difference performance wise. However, I do like the laquer casing better. Why? If you handle alot of polymer cased Wolf ammo, you get this wierd graphite like black residue on your fingers. That is annoying when loading alot of ammo, and does not happen with laquer cased stuff.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I like it. I shoot it. It's cheap as h#ll and I'll be danged if I'll ever stop. I'm not as experienced as many on this board, but I've been through 2-3K of the stuff with no problems. It goes bang and that's good to me!

Edit...see this thread!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=423163
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I liked the laquered cases better. Closer to mil-spec and the case was much more resistant to corrosion from storage.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top