Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2005 7:01:19 AM EDT
Hi , I was at a local shop yesterday and saw a case 1200rds of Norinco SP 7.62x39 . They had $129 on it so I grabed it ......

Is this decent stuff ?

Like the HP the jacket is steel but there is a small tip of lead exposed . I cant imagine there would be much expantion w/ the steel jacket . I 've shot the HP's into paper it 's nose just colapses and causes the bullet to yaw crazy .
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some Norinco SP as well and the only problem I have had with it is that it doesn't feed correctly in my Mak 90. I have heard from other folks that they had the same problem as well. I believe the problem is the SP tip it too rough and hangs up within the feeding chamber. That's my two cents...any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did fine. I assume all Norinco is corrosive, so rinse/dry/oil and enjoy.

Thats good ...cause thats what I wanted to here . I hand cycled a few , no isuses .

I pulled a couple 20 rd boxes out of the crate and sealed it back up .

If it goes well this guy has a little more . and it seems cheap enough .

Weirdest thing , as w/ The HP ammo the SP ammo has a steel case .....? I'm gonig to make some wetlap testing see what happens .....

Yea I assume the same thing about Corrosive Norinco , the box does say noncorosive .
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have feeding trouble with the Norinco ammo as well. Hangs up every once and awhile on the feedramp of my VZ58. Otherwise works and shoots well. Dirty though...clean the rifle right away!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I am curious, why are assuming Norinco ammo is corrosive??  I picked up half a case a few weeks ago at a gun show.  It was labeled as noncorrosive.  I am new to AKs and if you don't mind, please tell me why you assume Norince ammo is corrosive.

I shot some over a week ago and after reading this thread I checked the gun, which hadn't been cleaned since then, and didn't see any obvious pitting or rusting in the bore or gas tube.  I cleaned it with Hoppes No9, which claims to neutralize corrosive residue, and put it back up.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
As I understand from listening to dealers , there is some neather world of "semi corrosive" ....?

I dont know if it's true or not . The story was because the comies wanted shelf life over everything else . Apparently some element causes corrosive primers have a longer shelf life . SSOOO even the "Non corrosive" is somewhat corrosive by western standards .....please dont ask me what those standards are .

I realize this is a lame answer , maybe someone else can explian better OR correct me if I'm wrong .

ETA , As far as cleaning  , hot soapy water will do the trick (neutralize corrosiveness). I didnt think Hoppes would do it , BUT I havent read a bottle of Hoppes in a LONG time .

If as on Black powder guns you can get the water very hot so it will get the steel hot , then the residual water will evaporate due to the heat of the steel THEN quick w / your favorite preservative .
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot several thousand rounds of it in 7.62x39 and 223 all of it shot very well no problems but I did always clean my weapons after each shooting session, I think its very good cheap ammo
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Some Chinese is corrosive, some is not. It will be the priming material that is the corrosive part. It's easy enough to test.
Pull a bullet and dump the powder. Get a clean piece of steel and fire the primed case at the clean steel. It will rust up fairly soon if the priming compound is corrosive.
If in doubt, assume the ammo is corrosive and clean accordingly. I know a guy who didn't and had to hammer the gas piston out of his SKS a few days after shooting some surplus Chinese ammo.
"Semi or somewhat" corrosive always makes me laugh. Either it is or it isn't. That's like somewhat pregnant.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#9]
You are wrong there is no such thing as semi-corrosive ammo. It is either corrosive or it is not.
The Chinese ammo that has non corrosive marked on the box has non-corrosive primers. I can say that from exspearience as I have been shooting Chinese ammo since 1986 when I bought my first SKS rifle. Myself and several SKS owning friends were really thrilled when the Chinese non corrosive ammo first started showing up at gun shows around 1990. It was great for those summer weekend camp outs as we didn't have to clean our rifles several times during the weekend to prevent them from rusting up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
This confirms my experience.  Considering that I waited 2 weeks after shooting my rifle to clean it I think I would have seen some rusting or pitting if the ammo had been corrosive.  Thanks for the information.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say that was a damn good deal!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top