Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/5/2005 5:00:32 PM EDT
Several months ago I had asked about this ammo and no one was sure about it.

It was being sold by the Ammunition Store, and a few others I think.
The wooden crates it came in were dated 1994 and 1995, and the Ammunition Store web sight said it was manufactured in Belgium and that it was non corrisive.

Inside the crate were (5) 200rd battle packs.  Inside the packs, the ammo was in unmarked cardboard boxes.
The shells are brass and marked ____7.62x39____76___ .

About 1 month ago I fired 200 rounds of this stuff threw a new AK.
As soon as I got home I  throughly cleaned the rifle with CLP.  
Except for the gas tube. I only ran one patch threw it.

Remembering that I shot the "mistery ammo" threw it, I inspected the rifle today.  I have not shot any other ammo threw this rifle.
Everything looked good, except for the inside of the gas tube. Inside of the gas tube was rusted and slightly pitted.

So, just in case anyone was still courious about this ammo,
it is corrosive.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if you are talking about the stuff that some were calling Portuguese or Belgian, but the stuff I bought from Ammoman matches your description (mostly).

The stuff I have comes in green battle packs with 200 rounds each, ammo is then in unmarked cardbaord boxes.  The headstamps on the ammo I have reads ____7.62x39____95___.  As far as I can tell the ammo is non-corrosive, which makes sense if it was manufactured in 1995.  Conversely, the stuff you have could be corrosive if it was manufactured in 1976.

Now I need to open up a my other shipment of this stuff to read the headstamps.  I have run a lot of this stuff through my Arsenal AK and have yet to clean it thinking I am shooting non-corrosive only.  It would be a bummer to mess up that gun...

Thanks for the post and the heads up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not sure if you are talking about the stuff that some were calling Portuguese or Belgian, but the stuff I bought from Ammoman matches your description (mostly).

The stuff I have comes in green battle packs with 200 rounds each, ammo is then in unmarked cardbaord boxes.  The headstamps on the ammo I have reads ____7.62x39____95___.  As far as I can tell the ammo is non-corrosive, which makes sense if it was manufactured in 1995.  Conversely, the stuff you have could be corrosive if it was manufactured in 1976.

Now I need to open up a my other shipment of this stuff to read the headstamps.  I have run a lot of this stuff through my Arsenal AK and have yet to clean it thinking I am shooting non-corrosive only.  It would be a bummer to mess up that gun...

Thanks for the post and the heads up.

I have not shot any of the ____7.62x39____95___ yet, but I plan on shooting some soon.
I bet you are correct about it being manufactured in 1995 and being non-corrosive.
I did not even realize that I had any, untill I check the other battle packs in the crate.

But I do know the ____7.62x39___76___ is corrosive.
What I don't know, is how I got a couple battle packs of the 1976 stuff,  mixed in the
crate with the 1995 ammo.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot a ton of the _95_ stuff, and let it sit in a brand new gas tube for quite a while, with no rusting. Damn shame you got some bad stuff...

Good to know though, as I'm hitting the gunshow this weekend; I'll have to keep an eye out for crates not marked with _95_
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where I can get more cases of this stuff? No one has it listed but I'd like to buy at least 2 more cases.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get more cases of this stuff? No one has it listed but I'd like to buy at least 2 more cases.

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I got mine in FT. Wayne IN. from some no name guy at a gun show.  The wood crate was dated 1994 but the headstamp said "76" like Roger3 has got.  It shoots great.  I have a 17 year old gun cleaner still at home.  He don't mind the extra time cleaning as long as he gets some trigger time.  

Hell, if your gas tube rusts out, buy a new one for $20 bucks. Remember, these are AK's not some fancy pants target rifle.  
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top