Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 8:02:54 PM EDT
Measured the o.d. of some Wolf FMJ and Bear SP. They came in at .305 for the Wolf and .310 for the Bear. The Wolf is not very accurate out of my Mak90. Shot a couple BBrown Bear just to check point of impact and found it to be more accurate. Slugged the barrel and it came in at .310. Next time I'm going to shot some more of the Brown Bear SP to see the results. BTW the Silver Bear Match Grade came in at .305 too. Never was happy with it either. Any body elese notice this or anything similiar?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you pull the bullets or just measure a loaded round?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
After pulling them, which I should of done in the first place, I fould the following. The Wolf FMJ measures .310 and the Brown Bear measures .315. But the Brown bear has a thin layer of sealer holding the bullet in. Could this account for the differance? I'm thinking some of it, but not all. Another question. How many here have slugged their barrels and what were the measurements?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
This is my results of pulling the bullets on 10rds from this box of ammo. The sketch of the bullet the part that measures .3105"-.311" is only from the base to .003" up the bullet the rest measures .309". The bullets from a box of Ulyanovsk fmj ammo were the same with only the rear .003" of the bullet being .3105"-.311". As you can see the weights,diameters, and lengths are not very consistant. This exsplains why the Russian ammo produces 6"-8" groups in my rifles.

I have never slugged the barrels of my rifles but I do get reloads with US made .310 bullets shootng into 3"-4" groups and US made .311" bullets producing 2"-3" groups.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your information. I feel the same way about some of the cheap stuff. But man, It's hard not to buy it at those prices.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I buy and shoot a lot of the Russian ammo. When I need some accurate ammo I pull the bullets from the Russian ammo and dump the powder in my powder measure. Re-charge the cases and seat a Sierra .311" 125 grian bullet.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top