Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 3:54:06 AM EDT
I'm looking for recommendations on 7.62 x 39 ammo suitable for hunting hogs. I have SKS, Poly- Tech AKS as well as a Ruger mini30. Actually, I'm thinking about using the mini30 on an upcoming pig hunt.
I've read that most of the Chinese and Eastern bloc ammo doesn't really work well, even SP of HP. Can anyone confirm or recommend anything else?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Remington makes a 123gr or 125gr SP. That should be just fine for hogs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I used some hollow point russion ammo deer hunting once.  It was in the grey cardboard that said made to hunting specs.  It worked like shit.  I almost load a doe I shot THREE TIMES with this ammo.  Bullets acted like FMJ and didn't seem to expand at all.

I suggest that you stick with some americian made ammo with a good expanding bullet if you want to use the 7.62x39 for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
i am not a hunter so i simply don't know.

but is there anything that says you cant hunt with a FMJ round?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Georgia Arms loads a nice 7.62x39mm hunting round (125gr. Nosler "Ballistic Tip") that should be cheaper in bulk than the "name brand" stuff.  It is good ammo - what I use in my 7.62x39mm ARs and what my wife uses for deer in her bolt-action in that caliber.

www.georgia-arms.com/precision.htm
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Federal makes some.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes.  In some states, WI for example, it is illegal to even have a FMJ round in your possession while hunting.  Also, it is more ethical to use an expanding bullet in order to ensure a clean kill on your game animal.  I know that some states allow FMJ and I'm not trying to start a huge debate here.  I like to make the cleanest kill possible on game so I choose some sort of expanding bullet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
How about some of the Russian 125gr. SP rounds, such as Barnaul, Brown bear, etc?  Are they reliable expanders in tissue?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Actually FMJ ammo is illegal for ANY hunting purposes, I'd try to find some silvertips and reload them to the highest pressure possible for feral hogs.

As mentioned above HP ammo will not give reliable penetration, I really have my reservations about hunting dangerous game with the 7.62 x 39 caliber, and a 250 lb hog with tusks 5 inches long I consider dangerous.

My favorite hog gun is a russian model 44 chambered in 7.62 x54r modified with the ATI fiberglass stock and add on bent bolt kit from  ATI with a 3x9 50 mm scope.

This is just my personal preference and isn't meant to vilify the AK, SKS guns or the 7.62 x 39 caliber, I just feel it's too weak for D/G hunting.

Ron
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Headshot, I believe that in some states you can hunt with a FMJ.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Barnaul 125gr sp in my Saiga. At 50 to 100 yards the stuff is deadly. Through the lungs or heart they don't go very far. I've got 3 antlerless and no problems.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top