Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2005 11:33:13 AM EDT
Seen this at a few places and wanted to know if it was any good.  Probably beaten to death sorry.

Thanks Jeff
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, we've been through that a few times  

That said, the Cheetah is brass cased ammo made in Zimbabwe on chinese equipment.  It's most likely fine ammo.

The problem with it is that the gov't of Zimbabwe is known primarily for it's corruption, it's seizure of farms from white owners, and it's precipitous plummet from a nation exporting food to a starving pit of despair while it's rulers bomb around in Bentleys.  It's primary exports now (near as I can tell) are ammo and refugees.

I won't support the government of President Mugabe.  A lot of guys here feel the same.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditton on that Winston said... While the ammo is good ammo... I will not put a penny one into the pocket of Robert Mugabe, period.

I could careless if its the last ammo out there in 7.62x39mm.

But, I nor anyone else here is trying to tell you or influence you in any way. Know about the ammo... know where it comes from and the dynamics ofthe place it comes from. Then, make your decision of what you want to do.

Y-
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guy's you where very informative.  Yes I have been shooting allot of the mystery ammo

and it seems to good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Man, I would love to try some of that Belgian/Bosnian/Portugese mystery ammo...

Sigh...

Y-
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sigh...

Y-

I have shot about I would say about 600 rounds of it and can say I am happy with it.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sigh...

Y-

So why don't you?  Is it no longer available?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Always seemed kinda high, along with the other issues of where it comes from
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered three boxes to give it an evaluation.  Some pic's but haven't been to the range yet.

Very clean hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I ordered three boxes to give it an evaluation.  Some pic's but haven't been to the range yet.

img313.imageshack.us/img313/8921/dsc015339cb.jpg

img333.imageshack.us/img333/6651/dsc015251ao.jpg

img343.imageshack.us/img343/6277/dsc015220sw.jpg

Does the bullet stick to a magnet?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img313.imageshack.us/img313/8921/dsc015339cb.jpg</a>

img333.imageshack.us/img333/6651/dsc015251ao.jpg</a>

img343.imageshack.us/img343/6277/dsc015220sw.jpg</a>

Does the bullet stick to a magnet?

Good Question, I will let you know when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
No, a magnet is not sticking to the round.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No, a magnet is not sticking to the round.

Cool, thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
knightsar,

where did you find the cheetah ammo at?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
knightsar,

where did you find the cheetah ammo at?

Thanks

Here
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Super Accurate ammo!

The guy who wrote that must have a masters in ammuntion advertising!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe even a PHD.

P reposterous
H yperbole
D elivery

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Can't recommend this Ammo because after finally getting to shoot it I can't see any benefit over wolf for the added charge for the Ammo.  Just wanted to let you guys know.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I have shot over 2,000 rounds of this ammo,  but just yesterday I had one bullet that seemed to be a real dud. It was strange, I tried a double tap, thought I heard two shots(I know for a fact the first one was successful), but I noticed my hammer wasn't cocked. Thinking my crappy WASR had screwed up, I pulled the bolt back, the round failed to extract, but as I pulled back the bolt I saw a smoking primer fall off the back of the case! I got my mag out, pulled out my rod and let the gun sit for about 2 minutes before tyring to tap out the case with the rod. (Note to self- AK mags are not hammers to beat the rod with) Got a real hammer, knocked the round out to see the bullet was still there! I had been bludgening a live round!!!!  Well, the bullet itself was knocked into the case (from knocking it out) and the round had no primer, after I shot it. Is this malfunction common? What could have caused it, I mean was it entirely ammo related or could my gun had fired the round incorrectly? My gun was really hot, not smoking hot, but it had been shot, and was laying on the sun in the bud of the truck for most of the shooting day. Oh, BTW to ensure fucntion I emptied 30 rounds from the gun as rapidly as possible without anything wrong. I also bought another mag, after the one I broke trying to hammer the rod, this one seems to have a good finish, but the back doesn't have the steel sticking out, the back is flat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Squib loads are rare in general, but least you did not force another round to cycle and send the next round down with one still in the bore

If you get a misfire, always (repeat 10 times) count to 10 mississippi minimum before opening the action. A click, fizz, bang with an opened action is mighty bad juju!!! Waiting longer is better

And if you think that's paranoia talking, I've got a buddy whose hand looked like a peppersteak after a hangfire he let fizz for about 5 seconds popped outside the action.

bad juju indeed.. But not as bad as having to scrub that shit out afterwards or what COULD have happened.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I was just wondering what happened, I've never had an ammo screw-up so big. I've had failures to fire on .40 and .223 ammo but never 7.62. But this wasn't just a failure to fire, the round looked as if the primer had just exploded, freeing itself from the case without triggering the main charge. Weather the bullet was lodged in the barrel or not is a question, as I never look down the barrel of a gun while waiting for a hangfire. What is clear is that the bullet was pushed into the case slightly when the round was forced out. The casing and bullet both seemed normal, the only oddity being the primer, which looked as if it had been fired and fell off when I pulled the bolt back originally. Could this have happened with other types of ammo, like .223 an .40? I remeber reading in the Bushmaster manual about "short stroking", what is this , and, will it be harder to fix than my Ak?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#24]
The Cheetah ammo has a bullet diameter of .308. This is good for the Mini-30 with the weird throating that Ruger produced in this rifle.

Real AK-47 ammo (Wolf, etc.) has a bullet diameter of .311/.312, this is best used in AK-47s/variants.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was just wondering what happened, I've never had an ammo screw-up so big. I've had failures to fire on .40 and .223 ammo but never 7.62. But this wasn't just a failure to fire, the round looked as if the primer had just exploded, freeing itself from the case without triggering the main charge. Weather the bullet was lodged in the barrel or not is a question, as I never look down the barrel of a gun while waiting for a hangfire. What is clear is that the bullet was pushed into the case slightly when the round was forced out. The casing and bullet both seemed normal, the only oddity being the primer, which looked as if it had been fired and fell off when I pulled the bolt back originally. Could this have happened with other types of ammo, like .223 an .40? I remeber reading in the Bushmaster manual about "short stroking", what is this , and, will it be harder to fix than my Ak?

I don't think your issue is short stroking, that's when the action isn't moving with full authority.  The round obviously was chambered properly, but malfunctioned when fired.

My guess (and a shot in the dark it is!) would be that you may have recieved a round with a primer hole issue.  If the force of the primer popping can't vent out through the two holes in a berdan setup, it's going to backfire into the action.

If the primer holes are ok, another option is bullet setback BEFORE you knocked it out with the rod.  That'd increase pressure in the case, but I'd expect that the bullet would leave the case if not the barrel in that situation.  

If it was firing out of battery, I'd expect the primer might blow out but I'd also expect the case to look "belted" near the rim as the unconstrained portion of the case bulged.

End of the day, I'd call this an ammo issue, curse Mugabe, and run through a few boxes of steelcase to verify function
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Dose anyone know if the Cheetah ammo has the hollow air space in the tip like the Wolf/Golden Tiger etc. dose?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like the case didn't have a flash hole.  That would explain everything.  It sometimes happens.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top