Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 5:44:57 AM EDT
I got this pretty cheap and can't decide whether to shoot it or sell it.

It has a 31 over 94 stamp, am I correct in thinking the mfg. date to be 1994?

Does anyone know if its any better than the Russian ammo?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What you have is lead core ball ammo(the green bullet sealer tells that) with a copper washed(plated) steel cases and steel bullet jackets. It was mfg. and imported in 1994 from factory # 31. The bullets are .311" and the weights of them are very consistant as are the powder charge weights. This ammo while not match ammo by any streach of the imaganation. I have found it to be more accurate in most of my AK/SKS rifles than the Russian ammo.
I would shoot a couple boxes of it to see how it does in your rifles before selling it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, thats good info.

How did you come about the bullet and powder charge weights?

I'll probably end up shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend that I used to work for on the side that mfgs. tracer,incendary,and starburst bullets/ammo. Remington and Winchester didn't come out with 7.62x39mm brass/ammo till the mid 1990's. Starting about 1990 as sales of SKS rifles went through the roof there was a big jump in demand for 7.62x39mm tracer/incendary ammo. So we pulled bullets on dozens of cases of Chinese ammo to get the primed cases to load the bullets we made. I also started doing this in the late 1980's to load Hornady soft point bullets for deer hunting as there was no soft point 7.62x39mm ammo made at the time.
The Chinese ammo we pulled the bullets from was mostly steel core surplus but in a pinch when someone would order a couple 1000rds of tracer and were in a hurry. We would have to run out and buy a couple cases of ammo of whatever we could find which was most of the time Chinese commerical ammo.  Some of the Chinese powder would ignite tracers and some would not so we did a lot of weighing powder charges when we pulled the bullets. Then recharge the cases seat a tracer bullet and test to see if the powder would ignite the tracer. We found that finding a powder charge that was even 1/10 of a grain off was rare and the same with the Chinese bullets.
Which is unlike the 10rds in the two boxes of Russian ammo I pulled and recorded.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
AK-Joe, theres a shop around where i live that sells that stuff for 2.50 a box
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
JA545, I have hopes that this shoots better than the current batch of copper jacketed Wolf I have. Its all over the freakin place and cost a little more than I paid for the Norinco stuff.

Kommissar, $2.50 is an OK price but I only paid $100 for this case which works out to $1.66 a box.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You never can tell as each rifle is unique in the ammo it will shoot better with.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top