Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/8/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT
This may have been asked a million times... but I couldn't find it anywhere on this site. What is an all around better round, 5.45x39mm, or 5.56mm and why?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends, just my opinion from what I've read is that 5.56 will produce more dramatic wounds within certain ranges ( actually its velocities). Its best used out of a 20" barrel to get the most out of the round. Once you start using a shorter barrel your muzzle velocity will drop as will the effective range that the 5.56 will fragment within. Depending on the weight of your bullet that effect range may be something like 75 to 150 meters. Past that and the velocity will have dropped too much for the bullet to fragment.

5.45 does not fragment therefore is is not nearly as restictive with barel length or range to target. This bullet is designed to tumble very shortly post-entry into a soft target. The wound are supposed to be as damaging as the 7.62x 39 round. Due to the tumbling of the bullet these rounds often exit at very differnt angles from their entry point ( as much as 90 degrees).
When the Russian began using the AK74 in Afganistan the Afgans accused them of using "poison bullets" to Western press.

Hope I was fairly accurate and that answered your question.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top