Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/18/2004 10:11:31 AM EDT
Okay, so I know that you can forget about Wolf HP ammo expanding, and I haven't heard any good things about Barnaul's HP ammo, but what about Barnaul SP ammo?  Does it expand decently?  What about the Remington and Winchester SP ammo?

Also, are there any feed issues with the soft points?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It does expand, but breaks up easily on bone.  I have heard quite afew times that you can take a deer with it as long as it does not hit a leg or shoulder bone.

Are you refering to the Barnaul SP here?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Winchester Super-X is about $13/box retail... and the average accuracy is comparable to Wolf 154gr SP shot through a VEPR K. The same goes for Federal Power-Shok.

If you're hunting, I would try Super-X in water jugs or what not to test expansion.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Barnaul/Brown Bear (made by Barnaul).

This is the feed back I have gotten on these rounds. Usually from an SKS.

The problem with the rounds is that they are not a bonded bullet.  They are not bonded to the core, so they break up easily.

So it looks like the Barnaul SP stuff would be good for 2-legged predators, but you should look to the wolf 154gr. for 4 legged prey.

Also, I've heard the Barnaul HP ammo sucks (doesn't perform) just as bad as the wolf HP ammo.  This true?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I have  not had any feeding issues with Barnaul soft point rounds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Remington just came out this year with a .310" 125gr sp bullet for reloaders so I assume they will start using this bullet in new mfg. ammo instead of the .308" bullet they have been using. The .308" bullet is the reason for the poor accuracy with the Remington 7.62x39mm ammo.
Winchester uses a .310" bullet and it gives pretty good accuaracy.
The Russian mfgs. use copper plated steel jackets on all their ammo even the sp. So they don't exspand like US mfg.,Norma,or Lapua who all use copper jackets on the bullets.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
No feeding problems with any type of ammo in my VEPR K:
Federal FMJ
Federal PSP
Winchester FMJ
Winchester PSP
Corbon JHP
Wolf FMJ, JHP, PSP
Barnaul JHP
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to give some of that Barnaul SP ammo a try.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top