Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:09:00 AM EDT
Hi, I called a gun range and was told that  I could not longer shoot Wolf hollow point at their range because they discovered that it had a steel jacket.  They reccomended some PMC that they sell which did not.  So, my question to you guys is, what ammo will work that isn't expensive?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Find another range.  I have found that most ranges around here are the same way, banning all the cheaper import ammo and Fmj. I have found a range near me that doesn't care what I shoot. just like all of them used to be. Where abouts in Texas are you? There is a decent range about 45 miles north of Dallas, if you are close I can get you the particulars.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#2]
He might be referring to an indoor range; the steel jacketed stuff over 2000 fps is much harder on their equipment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.  I'm in North Dallas.  It was the range formerly known as Winchester.  It is an outdoor range and they assured me that none of the ranges around would let me shoot that stuff because it goes through everything or bounces off.

45 miles north of Dallas would be further than I would want to go.  Thanks for the idea though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They are just worried about the potential of AP winding up there, instead of the slag grade soft steel that happens to stick to a magnet. A local indoor 25yd range was built well, and allows up to 338 Win Mag...

Indoor range equipment comes in many grades. There's a big jump in cost from the stuff capable of handling up to 2000 fps to the rifle grade. Most indoor ranges aren't willing to make the extra investment due to the minimal number of shooters interested in shooting centerfire rifles at 25 yards.  We've been considering adding one or two rifle-capable points at our indoor range, but the additional contruction (too make sure they can't hit the non-rifle traps) has been discouraging us.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Most gun ranges are afraid the Wolf ammo (lacquered steel case) is going to blow up in the chamber. A few .223 shooters had this happen and word quickly spread out...

There's PMC Green frangible ammo that is going to be available in 7.62x39 very soon - perhaps they want you to use that?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure.  I thought he said he had PMC that he would sell me to shoot there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Most gun ranges are afraid the Wolf ammo (lacquered steel case) is going to blow up in the chamber. A few .223 shooters had this happen and word quickly spread out...

Really? What were the circumstances?
What weapon was being used?

All I can think to say...is that I am sure the steel case didn't fregment as that of the bress case would have.

Would like to learn more about this.

Y-
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There's PMC Green frangible ammo that is going to be available in 7.62x39 very soon - perhaps they want you to use that?

How can you tell if the ammo has the lacquered steel case?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top