Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2004 11:02:53 AM EDT
I know this has probably been asked 1000 times, but I will ask it again.  I understand that the Russian ammo like Wolf etc.... has a copper washed steel jacketed bullet.  Is this true and if so, is this stuff going to wear out my barrel prematurely compared to fully copper jacketed ammo?  I shoot a SAR-1 and an SKS.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, most all Russian ammo has what is now called a Bi-metal jacket.  

This is nothing new to military ammo and is really nothing to worry about.

Will it wear out your barrel faster?  Yes, it will start wearing your barrel out at 35K rounds instead of 40K rounds.  In short, your barrel will still last longer than you will have $ to put ammo through it.

I have ammo (in other calibers) from the 1930's that has a metal jacket and no copper over it.  I have found no problems in cleaning or extra barrel wear.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
That silver 30's stuff may be cupro-nickel jacketed.  The process was common then.

Besides, its gas erosion that is the main culprit in barrel wear.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top