Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/26/2003 12:41:14 PM EDT
I've discovered a hole in my ballistic knowledge and need to cover it.

Has anyone done 5.45 tests?

I remember a Dr Fackler test from a dozen or more year ago where he was not impressed, but I need more.

In some of the Krink forum posts I saw it said that when you get to M4 barrel length the 5.45 will still perform. Are there tests to prove it?

What about the ammo I see for sale? Has it been tested? Does it compare with the ammo Dr Fackler used years ago?

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Robert, there are no such tests that I know of that are available to the averave person.

I agreee that Faklers testing needs to be "re-evaluated"
As for commercial 5.45, Both Wolf and Barnaul are pretty much the same.  They both tumble violently, but are not designed to fragment.

I have heard through some sources that it tumbles more or about the same as the military ammo, but can not verify. I also question why the military load would be different if the civilan legal version (that is cheaper to make) is just as good.

I do know of cases where deer have been taken with 5.45 FMJ.

The aguement with the M4 and the 5.45 round is pure logic.

The 5.56 round fired through the M-16 was designed to fragment above a certain velocity.  Drop the barrel length down to 14.5 inches for the M4, and you decrease that range to less than 100M IIRC.

The 5.45 round is not nearly as velocity dependant.  Its' design makes it effective close to its maximum range.  The round was designed for a 16 inch AK barrel.  
So comparing the two, the M4 gives you "better" performance out to >100M, and the Ak platform gives you "beter" performance out to its maximum range due to bullet design.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Obershutze. Although the M16/M4 is "better" close-up, is the 5.45 adequate close-up? That is the real question for me. Is there ANY disadvantage to it?

I was just thinking about the deer question today. No spoiled meat from a fragmenting bullet.

Thanks for the link Lumpy. It is helpful.

I hope that the AK group buy creates enough interest that some more testing gets done on this round. It kind of reminds me of the 6.5mm Sweede with the long bullet.

We just had the big November gunshow in my area and I could not find any 5.45x39mm for sale. The online stores look like they are drying up too, except for the Sportsman Guide, but even that might be a one time buy. I hope they keep importing it.

Many years ago I bought one military round for $10 and was lucky to get it. I think it was smuggled out of East Germany. I never thought I would ever own a gun that could shoot it.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top