Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/6/2003 6:48:29 AM EDT
I think I'm gonna take my new Romak III out hunting this year, and I keep hearing I need to stay around the 146 grain bullet area.  The question I have is that GA requires you to use an expanding round, and that leave me with 2 choices Soft Point (only ones I've seen are 200 gr), and cast lead (haven't seen at all).  Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I see nothing in my books showing anyone making a round like this.  In hind sight it seams odd.

I will check out Lapua and Norma to see what they have.  I'll het back to you on that. Either way it will cost you.

I would avoid cast bullets.  In this large of a round I think you would have excessive fouling unless you made the lead hard enough, then it wouldn't expand.

In the end, you might just have to try the 200 grain ammo and see how well it works.

You can use a Romak to hunt in GA? Wow, wish we could do that in ohio, but then we would have more dead hunters than deer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The LPS designation for milsurp is about 150gr, but the milsurp is anything but expanding. And all the SP I have seen is around 200gr.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup the only requirement for deer rifles in GA is Centerfire rifle lager than .22 cal (No 5.45), Semi-Auto, No Silencer.

My brother took a deer with my SKS last year, bayonet extended and all.

I could probably get away with shooting JHP's, but then it's up to the game warden on wether or not it's legal
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I see nothing in my books showing anyone making a round like this.  In hind sight it seams odd.

I will check out Lapua and Norma to see what they have.  I'll het back to you on that. Either way it will cost you.

I would avoid cast bullets.  In this large of a round I think you would have excessive fouling unless you made the lead hard enough, then it wouldn't expand.

In the end, you might just have to try the 200 grain ammo and see how well it works.

You can use a Romak to hunt in GA? Wow, wish we could do that in ohio, but then we would have more dead hunters than deer.

?? I fail to see how a romak is more dangerous than any other firearm in the hands of a person who is either incompetent or blind.

hmm, think id rather have someone shoot at me accidently with a romak rather than having some grandpapy who thought I looked deer color intentionally drill my ass with a scoped bolt action 30.06.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I from murdering bowling pins, I woud say that I'd rather not be hit by a scoped .30-06, or by something that shoots 7.62x54r  They both make bowling pins spill their guts, and I think that they would both be probably equally as effective against the shoulder bone of a deer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
whoops, thought it was 7.62x39.. my bad.  Thats what i get for not paying closer attention.  However im still curious as to why obershutze916 said alowing the use of romaks for dear hunting would lead to more dead hunters than deer.  

"but then we would have more dead hunters than deer."

?????????

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry if I came off the wrong way there Tripwire.  That was more of an Off-the-Cuff remark about the bad Ohio deer hunters.  It was in no way meant to be serious.

We seam to have more than our fair share of bad hunters here.  I could list things for a page that I have seen personally.  I have been shot in the butt while climbing a fence by a rabit hunter.  Only 6 pellets in the arse, but it still hurt like hell.

My thought that was a rifle[/] with range and a little power would be far more dangerous (down range) than the allowed shotgun slug in the hands of the idiot hunters.

Please do not take this to mean that I think all hunters or even most, are idiots, but we do have our fair share here.[/]  There is a running joke every year about the number of hunters shot each year. Luckily it has been going down the past few years.

Do I think that hunting with a Romak is a good choice?  Yes I do.  I think it is a great use of a fine rifle.  

The only problem I see is ammo selection.  I have looked up Norman and Lapua.  Norma does not even show this caliber in production. I find that odd myself.  Lapua lists a 185 grain bullet, but it is still on the heavy side, and will be VERY expensive.

Delta, do you reload? If so I can help you with this problem.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't reload,......YET.  I'm still trying to decide what machine to get.  I'd be reloading 5 calibers (7.62x39, 7.62x51, 7.62,54r, 5.56x45, and .45acp).  I'll also need to do about 1k of ammo at a time for some of our GAARFCOM shoots.  I'm thinking about the Dillon 550, then it'll just be a matter of saving up.  How would I come across 146 gr sp slugs?  Ober, let me thank you way in advance for all the help that you are providing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
What I'm thinking here is to try and load up some ammo with .308 bullets.

Any good pointed 150 grain bullet should work well.  I know of people who have pulled the bullet, then reloaded the powder and the new bullet.  This must be done very carefully, but can be done. This would give you a wider range of bullets to use.  I think a balistic tip would be a round that would feed well in the rifle and give good accuracy.  The undersized bullets would degrade accuracy a bit, but not too much. You could also reload with new brass (a much safer / easier method) once you get your dillon.

There is also a place in the Shotgun news that has odd sized bullets. As soon as I get my next issue I'll look it up for you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Does this mean he should hurry to CDNN and get some of the remaining Yugo brass cased 54r ammo? Unless there is another good source of 54r brass.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
They have some????? Delta can have it only if he beats me to it!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Delta, I have found what you are looking for.  Natchez Shooters Supply has Norma 150 grain 7.62 X 54R in stock.  It is on sale for  (gulp!) $36.46The Quality of this ammo is unquestioned.  I can't say how it will shoot, but it is damn good stuff.

Their phone number is 1-800-251-7839.  

This should also make GREAT brass for realoading.

Happy hunting!
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top