Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2012 1:43:07 PM EDT
What was the final verdict?  Did Wolf finally admit it was corrosive or a bad batch?

I bought 1K in early May of this ammo from AIM. I shot about 150 rounds of this thru my ARS built Romy G and put up my rifle without cleaning it cause the ammo is "non corrosive". Last night I see all the threads about this ammo being possibly corrosive. My heart dropped and I literally felt sick to my stomach. This is my first AK and it shoots awesome!  I inspected my rifle this morning prepared to see a rust bucket, but it was clean as a whistle. I inspected the barrel, bolt and flash hider. Not even one speck of rust. What gives?  I emailed Wolf, but no response yet. My lot number is 44S.

BTW, this ammo just came back on sale at AIM. I was looking to buy more, but I'll probably just switch to Golden Tiger and be done with it. I'm still sitting on 850 rounds of the Wolf Ukraine stuff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Last I heard it was corrosive still.  If it is fixed now the fact that it turned out to be corrosive tells me to never trust this ammo. I have 150rds in a baggie for emergency use only.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I still haven't cleaned my rifle after 150 rounds and zero rust. I'm waiting to hear back from Wolf. I purchased back in April/May 2012.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I still haven't cleaned my rifle after 150 rounds and zero rust. I'm waiting to hear back from Wolf. I purchased back in April/May 2012.

Corrosive primers are not guaranteed to make a rifle rust. A lot depends on the storage conditions. LOW humidity, use of a VCI, convection heat, etc. may (not will) keep metal form rusting even with the presence of salt residue from the corrosive primers. The salt residue is hygroscopic so moisture is a key element in whether or not the rust will set in. I have fired some old 8mm at the range on a humid day and within the hour seen an orange haze develop in the bore. On the other hand, I have fired corrosive-primed 7n6 on dry days and placed the spent steel cases in a climate controlled environment and not seen any rust develop even after a few days.

If in doubt, clean your gun thoroughly using patches and warm water or better yet, water+Balistol, followed by dry patches and then oil and lube as usual. Make sure you wipe any metal surfaces exposed to the corrosive residue with a damp cloth followed by a dry cloth followed by oil.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
In my case, The gun went from range to home safe( indoors, climate controlled with a heat rod) & had rust form after a week.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Might be a little late to add but,,,,, I got sent some of that Ukraine stuff and I immediately called wolf.  They told me that the new lots are now all tested.  The particular lot that I got was noncorrosive.  Anyway,  I will still be very careful and clean accordingly.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top