Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2010 7:12:26 PM EDT
What is a good moderate to cheap priced ammo that has proven performance to tumble quickly after impact? It needs to be non-corrosive also. Looking for something to store a thousand or so rounds of and want it to perfrom well in the minor event that it may be needed. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf Mil Classic HP's!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you are describing Golden Tiger. About $179/k right now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it's Golden Tiger or Brown Bear.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Have any of these rounds been tested for terminal performance?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I will just chime in on this thread instead of starting a new one.
Might buy my First AK tomorrow...chambered in 7.62x39.
Whats the favorite choice in ammo? Not the cheapest but best bang for the dollar etc.
Not as dirty etc. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yugoslavian brass cased.  Not as dirty as wolf or other steel cased...  great for long term storage also, but it is corrosive(clean weapon promptly after shooting).
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The Yugo M67 surplus wins the which tumbles the quickest battle as far as FMJ bullets go it's also the only available surplus ammo with all copper jacket lead core bullet,all the others are bimetal steel jacket and lead or steel core(less common) bullets.  This is not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to the HP or SP Russian ammo other than at a certain point once the projectile looses sufficient MV the HP and SP fail to expand an act more like a FMJ.  I would say if you plan on going the HP or SP rough keep you shots under 150 yds. if your expecting to get any benefit from them.

I shot mostly reloads but my SHTF stash contains Yugo Surplus & Golden Tiger FMJ and Brown Bear HP and SP ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Just how corrosive is the yugo ammo? In a SHTF situation where cleaning a gun may not be an option what would the result be of shooting a couple mags and not being able to clean it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#9]
depends on your climate.
some shooters have sene rust show in hours. some say they never clean their AK even shooting corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
depends on your climate.
some shooters have sene rust show in hours. some say they never clean their AK even shooting corrosive ammo.

+ 1.  I shot >300 rounds through mine over the course of two days recently and didn't get any corrosion at all until I cleaned my gun with a solution of 10% Ballistol in water.   3 hours later I could clearly see where I hadn't scrubbed or flushed enough.

To be clear, I blame myself and not the Ballistol solution- I didn't realize I had to really sluice the gun out.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top