Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/20/2009 11:38:30 AM EDT
Hey all,

So I took the forum's advice to make my own dessicant packs for storage w/ ammo in ammo cans ––- only prob cant seem to find any silica gel that is packaged correctly.  I find it and its in a box in a "bread bag" with a twist tie on it (this let a bunch of moisture in b/c the indicating crystals are all indicating that they have already absorbed water) –––– thus I cant use it (and no I dont feel like putting it in my oven for 5 hours and baking –– dont want all those chemicals going through my house).... Any suggestions on some stores where to look (I already went to "Michaels Arts and Crafts and been to a couple other small flower shops)..... Any body got some suggestions????  Thanks All!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#1]
cabelas or midway ?
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
if you dont mind small packages call a shoe store maybe shoes always come with them and they just get thrown out.

just thought of this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Try here:

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccant_overview.html

Also Midway has some in the the cans as well just not a large variety.
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wal Mart
100% Silica Gel cat litter
About $5.00 for 4 pounds
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
(and no I dont feel like putting it in my oven for 5 hours and baking –– dont want all those chemicals going through my house)....

The only dangerious chemical your going to get in your house is a slight amount of water vapor evaproating from the silica gel as it evaporates at an elevated temp in your oven.  A fart is more dangerious.  I like to pick up the stray packets on the floor at the shoe store when my wife is shopping.  Free.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wal Mart
About $5.00 for 4 pounds

This or Pet's Mart.
Put it in a coffee filter and bake it bone dry.
Throw it in an ammo can still warm and it will actually form a slight vacuum.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I purchased some kitty litter that is supposed to be 100% silica gel crystals (white crystals with blue specs) and put about 2 pounds of it in my safe.  

Results thus far are disappointing.  
During the winter things looked promising, the safe held around 40% humidity.  However with spring here it has crept up to 52% (I don't open the door very often) and I'm certain it will go higher as summer approaches.

Going to try commercial desiccant and see if my results improve.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Good topic, I am looking for some myself.

I am hoping to find indicating silica gel in 10 gram packets that are rechargeable, but the combination is tough to find so far.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Farmer Ted is right, their is no inherent danger danger with "silica-gel" ( other than breathing in large quantities while smoking like with asbestos or coal dust ). In the chemical industry, this is reffered to as a molecular sieve and is actually:  synthetic amorphous silica.  It comes in different particle sizes with different pore volumes ( ability to absorb moisture from the atmosphere ).  This same product is used in tooth-paste ( tartar control ), and a variety of cleaning and polishing agents, as well as for anti-fog control between the layers of multi-paned windows.  You can actually spread it on the floor, and it will kill most insects it comes in contact with by simply drying them out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wal Mart
About $5.00 for 4 pounds

This or Pet's Mart.
Put it in a coffee filter and bake it bone dry.
Throw it in an ammo can still warm and it will actually form a slight vacuum.

So went to walmart today and picked the 100% Silica Gel for $5 for 4lbs.  Wow I had to see it to believe it.  By far the best option I have heard of so far for dealing w/ moisture in the ammo can.   Do you think its necessary to bake it before I use it.... its brand new and sealed in plastic but it is not air tight (i squeezed the bag and it deflated easily).  If baking required what temp and for how long should I cook it???  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Gun Broker has some in bulk and Ebay has a lot of the small packets available.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
if you dont mind small packages call a shoe store maybe shoes always come with them and they just get thrown out.

just thought of this.

+1 been doing that for the last year or so, I do work part time in a store and noticed the shoes bring 2 packets each so imagine how much I have

Ask around

223SAINT

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Try here:

These guys are top shelf.  The Dri-box's are great for ammo cans.  They are not the cheapest- but they have a complete product line and premier performing products.  I get the color indicating stuff from them by the gallon bucket.  I always keep an old dress sock in the safe filled with some.  I have been a customer of theirs for the better part of a decade.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey everyone i have some new pre-packed dessecant packs for sale

Im looking to sell them at 8 dollars shipped for 50 or 13 dollars shipped for 100 packs

IM me if your interested.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try here:

These guys are top shelf. The Dri-box's are great for ammo cans. They are not the cheapest- but they have a complete product line and premier performing products. I get the color indicating stuff from them by the gallon bucket. I always keep an old dress sock in the safe filled with some. I have been a customer of theirs for the better part of a decade.
Something better than dress socks is ladies stockings or panty hose. You might have to blade at 45 at WalMart if you purchase these yourself.

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top